Doing H22 swap tomorrow need some help

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Ok so I am going to have to figure out why the vtec wire has power at idle, and only 2.5 volts with the engine off but ignition on. The vtec wire hasn't even been cut, my car came with vtec so I didn't need to. I am also not getting any check engine lights and the engine will rev to 7800rpm although it has a custom tune, not yet finished due to no vtec, so maybe the tuner made it so it would still rev to redline if there was a problem. Anyway there is 90 psi of oil pressure at the block at about 6000rpm and there is also plenty of oil pressure at the back of the head although none at the test port on the front of the engine. There is also plenty of oil pressure at the vtec solenoid itself and I have cleaned the solenoid and it flows plenty of brake cleaner when activated and has a resistance of 20 ohm so its good. Any ideas at all what could be causing this? Perhaps something under the valve cover?

bjorkmae

Reaction score
So if anyone is actually reading this I was looking at http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=830163 and wondering about the air test. I already tried this but without removing the valve cover and plugging the 5th gen cam cap breather hole and it seamed like the air was bleeding right into the valve cover and not building up at all. Perhaps there is a blown seal causing this problem? Does anyone know if the cam cams or rocker arms could be reassembled wrong and cause the oil pressure from the vtec solenoid to bleed off? Anyone have a diagram showing the correct cam cap layout?

bjorkmae

Reaction score
Ok well I figured it out myself, rocker arm shafts weren't aligned. Not sure if there is something that is supposed to hold them still but I guess I will figure that out as well.

Drift

Reaction score
Ok well I figured it out myself, rocker arm shafts weren't aligned. Not sure if there is something that is supposed to hold them still but I guess I will figure that out as well.

Who built the head? Thats rubbish!

bjorkmae

Reaction score
I have no idea. I don't know if the engine was rebuilt and hence the 250psi of compression in each cylinder or if they just put in different cams. The engine isn't clean enough for a rebuild in my opinion. But the engine did come with and aluminum flywheel so it wouldn't surprise me if bigger cams were added as well. Also my tuner did load a base map for vtec engagement with very conservative timing since we weren't able to tune with the vtec working, anyway every time it goes into vtec it goes really lean, hence my wondering if they are different cams. I bought the engine from a guy who lost his job and was going to do the swap in his 92 accord. He hadn't done anything to the engine. He bought it from a mechanic who bought an engine and transmission assembly from Japan, used the transmission, and sold the engine to him. It doesn't leak or make any noises and I have 800 miles on it now so I don't think anything is going to fall apart but missing two critical parts is BAD.

Back