Down but never out

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I'm sure those were fun to paint, especially the little rear window section. I need to do that when I repaint my car, tape doesn't stay too long, and idk about plastidip.

I can't wait to see the wheel mounted.

My plasti-dip has held very well and it's been a year and some. Richard (Sil2DrV6) has had his dipped probably much longer than mine, so he'd have to jump in here for more insight

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i had mine wrapped in vinyl for about 4 years before this. it was matte black. was a ***** to install but it held up great.

i decided to go the painted route this time because i was planning on taking off all the trim anyways so it makes it easier to paint. and because i wanted a gloss black finish this time and IMO gloss black vinyl didnt look as good as gloss black paint. i wrapped one piece in gloss vinyl and it didnt sit right with me so i painted it. right now it's still rough and orange peeled but im going to do a light wetsanding on them and buff them out and should be pretty good after.

and i just ordered 4 new general gmax tires. 215 40 18. ive always been a fan of general tires since they've served me well. my first set of wheels WAAAY back were the Work Esperios and i bought General exclaim tires then, kept those tires as i switched to the AMEs and when i sold the AMEs, they still had a couple good months of use left. they will probably be here by the end of the week and then if i have time, i'll get the tires put on and do some fitment work on the car.

Last edited:

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blacking out the trim really completes the car and softens the transition from body panels to glass. Great execution! I am very excited to see the custom work on the front bumper.

Styx2015

Reaction score
Wow! Extremely impressive work and impeccable attention to detail. I can't even imagine how much all the work and new parts are costing. Even so, it will be well worth it!

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Guess I will be the first one on record to say I am not overly fond of the new wheels.

I am a less is more kind of guy when it comes to 'spoke count', but I can appreciate the quality of them.

Should flow well with the colour of the car also.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
The volks have 10 spokes, AMEs had 10 spokes, even my first rims; work esperio were 10 spokes. I myself just realized that fact since you pointed out the spoke count, lol.

Varnell

Reaction score
I'm impressed with all the carbon fiber work. I've been thinking about picking up a cf hood and trunk. Everything I've read says not to attempt painting it. It will fade, spider when the cf flexes, etc.

Did you use urethane or epoxy when prepping it?

sccsammy

Reaction score
loooovvvvveee this color red!!! looks nice man i always wanted to do a color change but i feel like if i didnt paint everything inside as well it would bother me. how much of it did you do? i mean like behind the rear seats when you open them and the engine bay and also part of my trunk is stripped so i would wana change the color a that idk seems like too much work

KnightRyder

Reaction score
i didnt do any of the inside of the car like you're talking about. no point, mine is all covered in vibration dampener. i like my engine bay black so that is not changing. my door jambs and trunk jambs are red though.

varnell, what do you mean when prepping it? to prep it all we did was sanding it down smooth with 600 grit and use solvent based paint for the CF pieces because the waterbased stuff that was used on the body was not capable of mixing with clear to get the tint on the CF.

KnightRyder

Reaction score
checking fitment. 18x9.5+22 with 215/40/18 General GMAX tires all around.

front: fit is great but i dont see myself rolling like this while still on coilovers, its too close for comfort with my fenders when turning and climbing driveways, this height is great for my "drive height" when my air goes in though.

rear: EASY fit, i can still get the majority of my hand in between the tire and fender so im thinking somewhere between 5-10mm spacer (possibly custom machined to the size i want)

Back