Dyno'ing *Photos/Video added* 7.26.12

99CcordMTF23

Reaction score
Re: Dyno'ing for dummies

Thanks for posting those figures guys. Alex, where did you find that?

So I guess 4th is it. Maybe one in 3rd.

@Mike, I would be doing 3. They charge $65 for 3, but there would be a decent sized group going so we might get a lower rate. I always use to hear of like $120-$150 for 3 pulls...this seems low to me.

@99Ccord, so if I did some pulls in both...I would just say that the power number is somewhere between whatever result I get for both?

Good price for the pulls, Might save up for 6? lol
That is probably the best way to do it, Is it a Dyno and tune for you? Or is it just a dyno run? I thought i read it was just some pulls for you and no tuning...? If that is the case do a pull in 4th and 5th. If fifth is closer to a 1:1 like was mentioned earlier, that is probably the most useful, then just average the first 4th gear pull into the 5th gear pulls. =/

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

alright in a nut shell they're gonna put your car in whatever the closest gear to direct drive. You seem to have that established through everyone elses help so thats good. They'll take the car up to around 2k rpm start data logging and then WOT till the rev limit/redline. The horror stories about cars blowing up on dyno's usually applies to modded cars that are being tuned. obviously tuned wrong or pushed too far if they're blowing. but it can definitely apply to a stock car like yours if a problem is there but unnoticed. Depending on the dyno they will use different methods to provide a load to the drive wheels. Usually its more load then you'll ever see driving it so it can result in an unwanted end result. (ie. your weak link giving out)

You take care of your car though so I doubt that's going to be an issue for you. What kind of dyno will the shop be using? also are you gettin A/F printout with that price too? can't wait to see what it puts down. interested to see what the stock J REALLY makes.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

do it in 4th. no reason to try 3rd. $65 is a pretty good price

To be honest, averaging 4th and 5th would give you the most accurate number. I mean 5th is only off my .02 from being 1:1.

Google'd it Chris, this is the link: clicky its like a window sticker.

That makes sense. I’ll do one in 4th and one in 5th.

Thanks for the link Alex.

You should post a video & of course the dyno sheets when that day comes!

Since I’ll probably never do it again (unless I do some major performance mods in the future), I will probably get a video of it, haha. Dyno sheets for sure.

I have a friend who goes logging pulls in his sti on the highway and he has always done 4th gear pulls. But if it's on the dyno i would personally do a 5th pull too since it is taller and will give you more resolution when measuring the powerband.

On a side note, Chris, have you ever considered getting a tune for your car to see how much power you can squeeze out with your current mods? Should be relatively easy by just chipping the MT ecu...

I’ve heard of people doing that on the highway. Guess you just need the software, diagnostic tools, and a laptop?

I have thought about it, I’m sort of hesitant to mess with the A/F mixture for two reasons…1) I can’t tune it, and I don’t know where I’d go to do so around here, and 2) doesn’t doing that usually yield worse gas mileage?

Good price for the pulls, Might save up for 6? lol
That is probably the best way to do it, Is it a Dyno and tune for you? Or is it just a dyno run? I thought i read it was just some pulls for you and no tuning...? If that is the case do a pull in 4th and 5th. If fifth is closer to a 1:1 like was mentioned earlier, that is probably the most useful, then just average the first 4th gear pull into the 5th gear pulls. =/

Since the car isn’t tuned I don’t really see the point in doing six. There's nothing to tweak between pulls, so I would think the results would be consistent every time. Plus I only have two gears to do pulls in. I’d be happy with two pulls, honestly, but I think the deal is for three. So maybe I’ll do the third one in 5th again.

Only thing I have to add before dyno’ing is some headers.

alright in a nut shell they're gonna put your car in whatever the closest gear to direct drive. You seem to have that established through everyone elses help so thats good. They'll take the car up to around 2k rpm start data logging and then WOT till the rev limit/redline. The horror stories about cars blowing up on dyno's usually applies to modded cars that are being tuned. obviously tuned wrong or pushed too far if they're blowing. but it can definitely apply to a stock car like yours if a problem is there but unnoticed. Depending on the dyno they will use different methods to provide a load to the drive wheels. Usually its more load then you'll ever see driving it so it can result in an unwanted end result. (ie. your weak link giving out)

You take care of your car though so I doubt that's going to be an issue for you. What kind of dyno will the shop be using? also are you gettin A/F printout with that price too? can't wait to see what it puts down. interested to see what the stock J REALLY makes.

Thanks for chiming in, this is the info I was looking for for the questions other than the gear ratio. So when the rev limit is hit, they let off.

The only motor issue I know of, which is actually really common among J’s, is the valve tick. Does that matter? What about age? The motor is from a 2001 or 2002 CL Type-S, I’ll have to look. Anyway, that’s over ten years old either way, does that matter? The motor probably has about 52k miles on it now.

I asked the guy what kind of dyno it is, and about what documentation we’ll get. If you want to know what a stock J32 makes, I’m sure it’s all over V6P. I personally feel like every car is different though, and I want to see the numbers my car makes as it is now.

Last edited:

RallyMachine

Reaction score

I’ve heard of people doing that on the highway. Guess you just need the software, diagnostic tools, and a laptop?

I have thought about it, I’m sort of hesitant to mess with the A/F mixture for two reasons…1) I can’t tune it, and I don’t know where I’d go to do so around here, and 2) doesn’t doing that usually yield worse gas mileage?

Yeah you need all that plus a wideband 02 sensor and a human tuner that knows what they're doing, LOL. My friend sends his pull logs to a tuner in NY that sends him new maps that he then loads into his ecu.

Normally it will give you lower MPG but (not sure how like hondata works) you can always get a eco tune and a power tune that you can switch out when you want. I'm not sure how much difference it would make but tuning may help optimize the oem cl-s power curve to fit the different accord gear ratio and allow you to advance ignition timing. At the end of the day it wont yield much on an N/A car, but it will get you ready for when you decide to boost it :lawl:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

^wow dude, you know something about this stuff, I'm impressed lol. That would be cool to have a couple tunes to easily switch between. And yeah, my co-worker said he gets maps from some guy that lives somewhere else. Interesting the internet has even changed tuning.

The car may get S/C'd someday when it is no longer my dd.

Patrick, the dyno is a DynoJet.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

hondata isn't super quick to change tunes with as you have to pull over hook up your laptop and upload the different tune onto the ecu. it only takes about five minutes so if it were the kind of thing where you were gonna switch it at a track its doable to have two tunes. with what your car has done though you won't change enough to get to horrible of gas milage. even being boosted I only get about 40 miles less to a tank, and its really hard to not wot 2nd gear in my car cause its so damn fun haha so if I stopped doing that I could probably squeeze a few more miles out of a tank. oh cool thats the kind of dyno I learned on at school, I personally like them the most even though they supposedly aren't as accurate as a dynapack but those just seem sketchy to me.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Alright I'm doin this, confirmed today. :rock:

My car is a bit of an underdog given the fact that the shop we're going to does all muscle cars, and the people I'm going with all drive BMW's and a Lexus. But I'm more doing this for myself, so whatever.

Expect an update July 20th. :)

Back