EGR Block Off Plate

MikeyMike

Reaction score
call me dumb but, what is the purpose of the EGR block off? I know the EGR is emissions related, but im trying to read up on what blocking it off does. It's obviously going to throw a CEL, and your going to have to re-tune the ECU to bypass it. But what advantages do you get from blocking the EGR

Is it a case where blocking off the EGR, allows you to tune the computer to run the way you want rather then what the EGR tells it to? or am i completely off the charts

shavedaccord

Reaction score
From what I understand the EGR is in place to also reduce and/or prevent detonation..

AFAccord

Reaction score
No exhaust gas being recirculated into your intake manifold = cleaner air

:thumbsup:

I wonder if you could use the AEM FIC to tune out the EGR!

That's still a piggyback system right? You'd need a stand alone setup or a programmable ECU to disable sensors. Otherwise, you're still using the stock ECU, which will throw codes all day long.

From what I understand the EGR is in place to also reduce and/or prevent detonation..

That is somewhat true, in that the recirculated exhaust gas actually cools the combustion process, but at the same time it is contaminating the intake charge, reducing efficiency. It's effectively de-tuning the motor, which generally means a safer running motor, but IMO it's not necessary on a mild 9.3:1 cr engine like ours with a modest red line.

GlassJAw

Reaction score
A friend of mine has been transplanting a H22A 7 (Euro R Engine) into his EJ7 Civic Coupe, this is what he has done to remove the EGR recirculation without it throwing a CEL light. I will quote what he has done in His Words:

See the big hole I left in the small plate? Thats the one that still allows the valve to open, if you stop the valve from opening the lift sensor triggers a CEL.
The square hole has been blanked off which is the one that lets the gas into the chambers inside the inlet manifold and up to the EGR plate.
Everything needs to be plugged in and working but with no gas-flow through it and then it shouldn't throw a CEL.

9646.jpg

9648.jpg

9652.jpg

Obviously the bigger plate wont be needed for the normal H22A engine but the EGR valve plate can quite easily be used.

AFAccord

Reaction score
That's a nice design, but that EGR system is completely different from the F23 and probably the J30's systems.

Reaction score
:thumbsup:

That's still a piggyback system right? You'd need a stand alone setup or a programmable ECU to disable sensors. Otherwise, you're still using the stock ECU, which will throw codes all day long.

That is somewhat true, in that the recirculated exhaust gas actually cools the combustion process, but at the same time it is contaminating the intake charge, reducing efficiency. It's effectively de-tuning the motor, which generally means a safer running motor, but IMO it's not necessary on a mild 9.3:1 cr engine like ours with a modest red line.

Hey bud, i am going to install the plate on my 99 accord 2.3 with 335000 miles. with the worn condition this original engine has, do you see me having any problems with normal city/hwy driving? should i drill the hole glassjaw has commented on to prevent a code from being thrown?

AFAccord

Reaction score
I don't see any benefit to blocking the EGR on stock engine that has already survived that many miles. My concern with the method Glassjaw presented is that the EGR valve would eventually become clogged, then you have a problem that didn't exist before the modification.

Back