Engine won't start sometimes?

TheHunter

Reaction score
Ok I've had this problem ever since I first got my car, it doesn't have anything to do with any of the modification I've done. So basically this is how it works... my car starts perfect over 90% of the time. But maybe once every month or two, when I go to start it, it only turns over but doesn't actually start. Now I haven't found a surefire way to make it start right other than to just sit there, try a few times... wait a min, try a few times again, rinse and repeat until it finally starts up. Then I don't have the problem again for a long time. Any ideas on what could be causing this.

Also it only seems to happen after I've driven it recently (IE: Not on a cold start) or at least as much as I can remember.

Thanks for potential help!

finch13

Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulators can cause hard starts.

How is the coolant level? An internal head gasket leak can wash down the cylinders and cause occasional hard starts.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Coolant level is fine, and hasn't gone down since I've got my car. Hmm... yeah it's really strange because it's only once in a very long time. I know if it were consistent, it would make a little more sense.

jwong512

Reaction score
Maybe it's the ignition or some corrosion on the battery? It's most likely not but just a guess.

tomcarhonda

Reaction score
I would say the battery terminals and the adaptors, but if not I would work my way towards hoses and so on.

Red6THgEN

Reaction score
check your main relay and if thats not it b4 you start your car check to see if your fuel pump whines up

rIceNOodles

Reaction score
i have the same issue and i deal with it the same way you do. But I noticed this only happens when I'm really low on gas.

finch13

Reaction score
Check battery cables and grounds? It CRANKS but doesn't start. Battery is fine and the surrounding wiring is fine.

We can all throw around guesses, but the first step is to determine if it has fuel and spark.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Check battery cables and grounds? It CRANKS but doesn't start. Battery is fine and the surrounding wiring is fine.

We can all throw around guesses, but the first step is to determine if it has fuel and spark.

Yeah exactly what I was thinking. If the battery was corroded it wouldn't crank like it does. It turns over hard and fast like normal, the only difference being that it doesn't actually start. Based on my knowledge of mechanics I would say it is either a spark or fuel problem like you said. The only problem is I can't really test for spark since 90% of the time it's fine. I'd have to have a second person on hand and a spark plug wrench to check on the off chance that it doesn't work.

Honestly my best guess is that the ECU just has some weird *** bug that comes up once in a while. Unfortunately when it did it a couple days ago I also scanned it for any codes and nothing came up while or after it occurred. :/

Back