Factory Loss Motion Assemblies for F23 VTEC

NASOHC

Reaction score
I'm starting a thread on this item since it appears that I'll be needing a set of these babies asap and you should know more about it too! :)

So, I did my valve adjustment TWICE now on my newly built engine and I can't get rid of the small clatter in valve train so I called up my boy Bisi and double checked my lash setting on the intake & exhaust rocker arm assembly. I'm running .010 exhaust & .009 intake which is apparently fine. So, what gives - he text me back saying it could only be the factory Loss Adjustment Assemblies. Call me whatever but I never heard of the name and as I come to find - it's the FOUR small tensioned springs located under the rocker arm assembly. Pictures to come later... sorry.

Anyways, Bisi has been tied up in meetings tonight but I figured he will let me know tomorrow what options i have on replacing these things since I hate the noise valve train sound and I'm sure will/is affecting performance somewhere. Long story short as of now, these things can wear and cause your engine to sound bad - some have confused it for rod knock type noise so if you know what that is - it's nothing nice.

Tomorrow I will update you guys with photos, part numbers and whether or not I have a choice between an aftermarket performance or OEM part. Also, the function of these 4 springs for VTEC motors. I Googled this thing for an F23A1 and came up empty handed so I hope this helps a few out there along the way. It sure is News to me!

Anyone got info to contribute... feel free!

UPDATE: 06/11/2010

First pic show location of LMA spring. Second shows LMA spring removed and new parts in bag.

As you can see from the first picture, the rocker arm assembly needs to be moved up in order to have enough room to remove LMA springs. This head I'm using as sample had no camshaft so its easy to do - as mentioned, if your motor is in the car assembled, you'll need to remove timing belt in order to loosen cam gear and remove rocker arm assembly.

2p18j.jpg

1zo13.jpg

Last edited:

Nismode

Reaction score
Looking to build an NA F23, so I'll be paying attention to this.

Your build is an inspiration to what I wanna do.

cantafordaccord

Reaction score
that noise bugged the crap outta me and still does thanks for investigating more in depth!

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Wonder if this could cover the j30 as well, cause I've adjusted mine several times in my old and new motor to get rid of that tick that annoys the **** out of me.

Drift

Reaction score
24ocz6c.png

Its number 15 in this pic. (14820-PAA-A01)

The lost motion assemblies are there to keep tension on the rockers when the engine is in VTEC. Otherwise the rockers would just bounce around and will come loose.

Ive heard of the hydraulic LMA's going bad, but those were all replaced with mechanical spring type LMA's. Since then, I've never seen one go bad or need to be replaced.

Erik123456789

Reaction score
Wow lol, I have the same annoying ticking sound, and I've never been able to get rid of it cus I didn't know what it was. My first guess was always adjusting the valves but that never helped.. I'm glad I know what it is now, Thanks!

NASOHC

Reaction score
24ocz6c.png

Its number 15 in this pic. (14820-PAA-A01)

The lost motion assemblies are there to keep tension on the rockers when the engine is in VTEC. Otherwise the rockers would just bounce around and will come loose.

Ive heard of the hydraulic LMA's going bad, but those were all replaced with mechanical spring type LMA's. Since then, I've never seen one go bad or need to be replaced.

Nice diagram and brief explanation... thanks!

I have a spare head I'll be shooting closer photos of tonight but yeah, those are them.

Bisi called me this morning at 8:30am and said it's hard for those things to fail, they will weaken but if the noise bothers you he said - change em' - nothing I should be too concerned of though. It may make a 200-300 rpm difference in VTEC engagement but unfortunately, nothing is available aftermarket. So, I'm hitting up the honda dealer today and see if they're available new; and for how much. If not, I guess I'll have to use the spare ones I got from the other head.

More later today. Glad to see I wasn't the only one concerned about this noise.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I have the same issues with mine. Valve adjustment was done 10k ago, I think it's just a typical honda 4cly sound.

NASOHC

Reaction score
I have the same issues with mine. Valve adjustment was done 10k ago, I think it's just a typical honda 4cly sound.

It is, but I hate the noise.

Mine gets it around 2500-2700 rpm, then fades and comes back at 4000+rpms and it's loud enough to hear inside cabin.

Trouble with this job too is that you'll need to remove the rocker arm assembly, camshaft and therefore dissassemble the front timing cover area and loosen timing belt. You can't compress the rocker enough to remove these things since camshaft won't allow it.

Drift

Reaction score
Honda fuel injectors tend to click pretty loudly also. FYI.

Back