Failed CO Emissions BAD!!! UPDATED

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Re: Failed CO Emissions BAD!!!

PO141 - Rear o2
P1381 - CYP Sensor Intermittent Voltage
P1259 - VTEC System Malfunction(Probably solenoid needs cleaned)
P1456 - EVAP Leak near tank(Probably gas cap, my cap failed the pressure test)

HC GPM - .98 (Limit 1.2)
CO GPM - 2.52 (Limit 15.00)
CO2 GPM - 293.98 (No Limit)
NOx GPM - 3.3788 (Limit 1.5)

I'll scan everything in tomorrow so you can physically the printout. I'd imagine my CEL for a rear o2 and CYP Intermittent Voltage isnt helping my rich condition.

lithiumus

Reaction score

Where is the breather going to now if it's not going back to the intake? Forget trying to pass emissions when you've got CELs. Usually throwing CEL codes will put your ECU into safe mode and it will run rich to protect the engine and you'll never pass emissions.

The emissions tolerances are low enough that 1 AFR point i.e. 13.7 will put your numbers right at and/or over the limits. If you are running at 14.7 but failing NOX badly, it's likely your EGR. If you are running at 14.7 and failing HC it's probably a misfire (unburnt fuel) and if you are running 14.7 with high CO, your cats could be done or losing it's effectiveness... let's see the numbers!

Drift

Reaction score

PO141 - Rear o2
P1381 - CYP Sensor Intermittent Voltage
P1259 - VTEC System Malfunction(Probably solenoid needs cleaned)
P1456 - EVAP Leak near tank(Probably gas cap, my cap failed the pressure test)

HC GPM - .98 (Limit 1.2)
CO GPM - 2.52 (Limit 15.00)
CO2 GPM - 293.98 (No Limit)
NOx GPM - 3.3788 (Limit 1.5)

I'll scan everything in tomorrow so you can physically the printout. I'd imagine my CEL for a rear o2 and CYP Intermittent Voltage isnt helping my rich condition.

The p1259 code usually means that you are or were at some point low on oil. The solenoid is probably fine. The P0141 is just the heater circuit, and wont effect the a/f mixture.

The EGR is probably pretty carbed up, but its it gets too bad you'll get a P0401 Insufficient EGR flow. And the EGR isnt supposed to be open at idle anyway. Only cruise and light throttle conditions. If the EGR is open and flowing and idle, the engine will run like crap and idle at like 200rpm. I bet the cat is dying. Was it up to temp?

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score

Full temperature and the cat is under 2 years old:icon_axe::eusa_wall:

But the cat has a warranty so I should be able to get a free one.

Our Smog test are near full RPM range tests on a dyno, they take it to like 45mph. If that matters...

finch13

Reaction score

I'd replace the crank sensor... I've seen those do all sorts of funky things and I'm sure it probably helped wipe out the cat.:hide:

Was the cat OEM or aftermarket? There's a reason aftermarket ones are hella cheaper than OEM :lawl:

lithiumus

Reaction score

The smog tests are fine. 45mph sustained is similar to cruising and light to medium loads. Should not matter if everything is working fine.

Like Drift says, the EGR is suspect. May have lots of carb and possibly sticking or not responsive enough though EGRs are pretty resilient and if it's not throwing a P0401 it's probably flowing enough.

Definitely fix the crank sensor and get a new gas cap. If the rear o2 is under warranty, get it replaced. Get OEM if you can or at least equivalent i.e. NTK, etc. No harm in cleaning the VTEC solenoid and possibly replacing the filter and gasket. Once all that is done, reset the ECU and put in the recommended Octane and never higher esp. for E testing and drive the car for a couple of days to let the ECU learn and optimize, then bring it back in.

I'm interested in the AFR numbers (dilution) as that will help us understand if it's running lean or rich (after fuel burn).

Totalimmortal

Reaction score

Aftermarket cat, no way I can afford OEM. Has a warranty so I'll be exploring that. Gas cap was replaced already, o2 sensor was purchased from a member here. Thinking its the circuit in the ECU not the sensor itself, wouldnt be the first time. Well aware of everything else.

Last edited:

Totalimmortal

Reaction score

Well Im happy to report that all my CEL's have apparently disappeared. Started the car this morning, no CEL. Don't know why, honestly not going to temp fate by asking.....

I did get another temp tag and a free diagnostic appt scheduled, so we'll see next week what else may need to be done.

lithiumus

Reaction score
Strange that they suddenly disappeared... maybe some bad fuel?? BTW, make sure you run normal octane for the Etest, don't go a point higher...

Back