Failed CO Emissions BAD!!! UPDATED

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
K read over some more notes from my diagnostic. Said the car was trending toward a lean condition during testing. It's almost like I need a SAFC to richen it up a bit. Any ideas to get her running a little richer?

According to the insanely inaccurate OE water temp gauge, I'm running exactly where I should be temp wise. Maybe add some water wetter to bring her down a few degrees?

GlassJAw

Reaction score
What condition is your fuel pressure regulator in??
I've seen a factory one of them starting to fail and leaking of fuel pressure before it should.... not saying thats your problem, but could be somewhere to start looking.

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
What condition is your fuel pressure regulator in??
I've seen a factory one of them starting to fail and leaking of fuel pressure before it should.... not saying thats your problem, but could be somewhere to start looking.

This is not going to be your problem. NOx emissions come from high combustion temps (like you said) and high combustion temps usually come from lean conditions. Some examples could be a lean miss (bad plugs, bad leads, issue with secondary coil, etc) or it could be a cooling issue (bad thermo, bad rad, etc) or it could also be caused by something like EGR (port could be clogged and cylinder is not able to be cooled by neutral gasses).

I would start looking at those items. Since you say it runs fine, you can pretty much ignore any sort of ignition issue.

Also, the codes are not erased from the memory just because the light goes off. Unless it is erased by a scanner, the code will stay in the PCM history for forty key cycles.

Hope this helps...

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I can swear I replaced my EGR like two years ago but I'll have a look at it tomorrow, I remember it being a pain in the *** to get a socket on.

Phatbass

Reaction score
I can swear I replaced my EGR like two years ago but I'll have a look at it tomorrow, I remember it being a pain in the *** to get a socket on.

Yup, I think I removed my fuel rail and a few other items to make it easier.
A swivel adapter is your best friend with this job

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
I just seafoam'd again, second time. A LOT more dark smoke, a lot less white smoke. Pulled my EGR, passages are quite clear so I think I can rule that out for now. I already seafoam'd once so that could have cleaned the passages. Test tomorrow!! :ughrun:

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Are you sure the CYP is OK? An intermittent signal could cause a miss every now and then which could lead to your high NOx situation.

Back