First Subwoofer Setup

Gmoney

Reaction score
Personally I have 2 12" kickers comps, with a 500 rms amp and they POUND, I personally recommend you do what I did, which was buy the amp/amp kit from amazon they got good stuff surprisingly cheap. I got a raptor 4 gauge kit for about 40 bucks I believe and its good stuff.

If you got an aftermarket radio it would make the install easier, and if you don't you're gonna have to tap into the rear speakers. Its a good DYI project

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Got all my stuff installed today, works great :D

However the installer mounted the amp on the back of my subwoofer box. Now they fit perfectly into the backmost portion of my trunk, and I noticed after touching the amp a couple of times it gets pretty hot to the touch, not burning but I am thinking its running hotter than it should

Could this be because there is no airflow back there? I just took it off and put it on the side of the subwoofer where it has more air to "Breathe", will test it out again tomorrow and see if it runs cooler

KombatVirus

Reaction score
Its fine man. It'll get hot but it won't overheat

Alright, no harm done. Im going to leave it on the side of my woofers tonight. Ive got a half our drive tomorrow so Ill pump my music to see how hot it gets. If its the same as it was ill mount it back on to where it was

Thanks for the advice!

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Never mount an amp in a closed space and assume it will be fine. Amps have an operating temperature range and there is no reason to get it close to the high end unless you have no other option or know the risks of doing so. They mounted it there because it is cheaper; shorter power/RCA cables and no custom work to do.

Maybe it will work forever, or maybe it will shorten the amps life, I don't know. I'm just saying don't assume.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
There is some space there, and after testing it by putting the amp flat in an open trunk, the heat level remains the same. This leads me to believe it has enough space in the back to breathe. Thank you everyone for your input and help

KombatVirus

Reaction score
:kenny:Didn't feel like starting a new thread. However, I need some kind of cover or grill for my subwoofer since I use my trunk quite often. The sub's are Alpine Type S 10", and they stick out about 2 cm out , I have some attached Pictures. What are my options when it comes to this? I saw alpine made some of their own grills but they're 40$ a piece plus shipping! Crazy!

Last edited:
Back