free short shifter

silverbullet99

Reaction score
I've always wanted a PSPEC shifter but really never had the money. I saw the "Cutting your stock shifter" DIY and all I have to say is WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU CUT YOUR SHIFTER IN YOUR CAR???
The shifter comes out in about 15 minutes by simply taking out the 4 bolts and disconnecting your shift cables. I dono about you guys, but I would MUCH rather take it out, than take the chance of getting metal shavings all over my interior. Also, the threaded part on my shifter was much smaller in diameter compared to the shifter itself, so re threading my shifter was not going to be easy. Then I realized, why not cut the threaded part off, cut the shifter, then weld the threaded part back on? It didn't come out perfect the first time, as you can see where I chopped into it, bent it, and put a bead over the groove i chopped out. But that made it straight, and no one is going to see it anyways.
That took care of the short shifter part. But I also wanted the short throw feature too. I saw the "$5 dollar short shifter" DIY and saw a lotta people weren't too impressed with it. It was adjustable which was cool, but didn't look very strong. So I said, why not cut off the bracket where the cable mounts onto the shifter, move it up, and weld it back on? It'd be MUCH stronger than that little split ring hanger holding on your shift cable. Well, this is how it turned out. I still need to fix the clip that holds the shift boot to the knob, but other than that, I'm very happy with how it came out, and even more happy that it didnt cost me a dime.

picture.php

picture.php

cant go too far up with the bracket otherwise the cable will rub-
picture.php

before-
picture.php

after-
picture.php

3rd-
picture.php

4th (and NO, that is not neutral lol)-
picture.php

750chop

Reaction score
awesome idea! i had thought about doing this mod myself, but a little differently. Looks like your way is much easier. Thanks for the great DIY +1 to you

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
not to thread jack ... well this is a lil off topic but will a euro r shifter assembly swap over into our 6th gen.? the plastic casing looks identical ... i'm just want to make sure whether or not anyone has done this before i rip mine out ... here's a pic

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Thye $5 DIY was a bit ghetto indeed. The concept could definitely be improved upon though I must say. Why didn't you just cut off as much as needed, and re-thread yours instead of welding it all over the place? Good job on the DIY though!

silverbullet99

Reaction score
re threading would have been a ***** because the part with the threads was about half the diameter of the shifter so i would have had to grind it down thinner or something before i could even try re threading it.

Back