Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (updated 7/10/12)

Just got off the phone with the shop. Everything went well, they are finishing up now.

Fuel pump, lines, fittings, rail, and FPR is all in, working, and best of all, no leaks!

The existing oil line was a -4, and the shop had to replace it with what they had (a -3) so they had to take and replace all of the fittings and line completely. They are being pretty cool about it too which is a plus. It's all done and no leaks whatsoever in the oil, fuel, or exhaust!

Tune is set up for tomorrow at 10:30am so I should be sitting perfect to break through to the next level!

More to come tomorrow afternoon.... :coffee:

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

My cars been in the garage for 4/5 months sitting..collecting dust :( Still needs to be fixed.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Update: Good and Bad news:

Dyno Graph (Surprisingly made more wtq than whp.... HAHA)
DynoGraph7-11-12.jpg

Fuel stuff installed:
IMG_1502.jpg

On the dyno:
IMG_1499-1.jpg

The Bad Part

So everything was installed, no leaks or anything. Started out a little late cause the tuner got there late, started with smoothing out the air/fuel ratio and got that down pretty good and started boosting it up to 18psi where i made 287whp and 293wtq.

To make a long story short, that's where the tuner stopped cause he thought that was all that he could get out of it. He thought the timing (mechanical timing at the cam and/or block) was off and that was the reason for practically no power at prior to VTEC starting up.

He thought that there was a lot of "prohibitors" such as intercooler, 2.5" downpipe/exhaust, log style manifold, IM, turbo size, intake filter location, stock cam, etc. and that's why he stopped. He also thought that the motor was getting "tired" from being around so long...

Although I was making 334whp before this on pump gas, and now i'm on e85, there should be no reason I would be making less whp, and that it shouldn't do any better....

I still have to check and compare the current EMS map versus the old to see how much timing was altered as you need to change that when you run e85, and that's where the power comes from and is practically required when running e85....

Personally, I think it wasn't done correctly, and after a few weeks I plan on bringing it to another local tuner to see if it truly is what he said or not because, like I said before, there shouldn't be a reason why I would be running less power...

The Good Part

Well, A/F ratio is correct, it runs very well, and is still fun at 287whp, because it's been a while since i've driven it with that kind of power.

Also, the fuel system is up to par, and shouldn't have any problems with that in the future, the only thing that may need to be done is new lines throughout replacing the existing OEM hard lines.

So there it is, pretty shi**y huh?

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (updated 7/11/12)

where are said updates on first page? this is the internet I demand updates naoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9450erick

Reaction score

damn that sucks but glad he stopped, dont want another nikita incident, then it really is over

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Thanks 9450erick, I agree that nothing imploded or drastic happened but I believe I have found the issue:

I took a look at the ignition map just now and found this:

Re-tune (Today) ignition map:
IgnitionRe-tuneMAP.jpg

Earlier ignition map (one of many files that I never put a date on):
IgnitionWorkmap-1.jpg

They are exactly the same.... When I was performing timing synching and getting the car running on e85 either I used a outdated map that had ignition map set for the 250whp that I made prior to the MSD ignition setup for the 334whp tune, or it is actually the ignition map that was used for the 334whp... won't be quite sure cause there are no dates on the files....

As you know ignition needs to be altered to allow for the difference between premium and e85 gas, and nothing was changed....

This is what I believe is the reasoning behind the power decrease and the decrease in power beyond 5k RPM and prior to Vtec.....

The only other thing that I can think of that has changed is the fact that POSSIBLY the mechanical timing (Cam/main) is off by a tooth or a degree.... I'm going to check into this soon prior to going to another shop but these are the only two factors that I can think of..... Any opinions?

akoutmos

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (updated 7/11/12 -- Kinda Tuned)

From what i understand about E85 (not 100% sure about this as i have never personally tuned a car on E85), if the car is properly tuned on E85, your ignition timing should be more advanced compared to a 93 octane, everything else on the motor being consistent. Higher octane fuels and E85, burn slower and their flame front has a lower velocity compared to lower octane fuels. As such, ignition timing needs to be advanced to accommodate this.

I'm just taking a quick glance at your maps and they look identical. It makes sense that you lost power seeing as the ignition map is not catered to the fuel you are running.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (updated 7/11/12 -- Kinda Tuned)

From what i understand about E85 (not 100% sure about this as i have never personally tuned a car on E85), if the car is properly tuned on E85, your ignition timing should be more advanced compared to a 93 octane, everything else on the motor being consistent. Higher octane fuels and E85, burn slower and their flame front has a lower velocity compared to lower octane fuels. As such, ignition timing needs to be advanced to accommodate this.

I'm just taking a quick glance at your maps and they look identical. It makes sense that you lost power seeing as the ignition map is not catered to the fuel you are running.

^ you are Correct, and Bingo! That's exactly what needed to happen and did not get done, hence the loss in power due to no corrections being made.

That is also why I am keeping it where it is until I recover from the fuel rework costs and bringing it to another tuner. I'm frustrated to say the least....

Back