Harsh Jerking between 1500~2500rpm

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought myself a used 2001 Accord 2.3 Vtec, run 97800kms(~60,000miles). And have used it for about a thousand miles sans any major problems. But of late, its been suffering from a really annoying problem.
I have almost no power till the car reaches about 2500-3000 RPM in ANY gear. It has more pull from ~800rpm till 1500 than the 1500~3000rpm range.
And while it is in that range, the car jerks really badly(like the kind of jerks you get when you are learning to drive a manual, and are bad with the gas+clutch pedals).
The funny thing is that past 3000rpm, the car behaves totally fine.
But below 3000rpm, I got nothing. Even with the throttle at half/ 3/4th or even with it floored, it doesn't accelerate AT ALL! Even if the throttle is floored in 1st at about 5-10mph, i feel as though I'm just cruising in 5th, until it reaches 3000rpm! Thats how bad it is.

But sometimes, like today, it behaves fine for like 15-20minutes and then the problem appears again. This happens on a cold start, or even when the engine is warm.

Had taken to the service centre 2 days back and the service advisor informed me that the problem was because of a faulty knock sensor which was cleaned along with the TB. Also had a full service done. After the service, it behaved fine for about 50miles. Then the problem came back.
Also, I noticed that this problem arises immediately after the orange check engine light appears.( I have a leak in the muffler, saving up for a pair of aftermarket ones)
I was informed that the error codes got from the car pointed towards a faulty knock sensor. But why does this problem go away after sometime?? Is there anything I need to be worried about or will the problem be sorted for good if I replaced the knock sensor?

I live in India, and if I need to replace any part, it's gonna be a good 20-30day wait for the parts to arrive at the Company service centre and its gonna cost me 10-15times the amount its available for abroad. I'm 20yrs old, its my first car and bought it with the money I had saved up, and its giving me sleepless nights!
Any help/pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks !!

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought myself a used 2001 Accord 2.3 Vtec, run 97800kms(~60,000miles). And have used it for about a thousand miles sans any major problems. But of late, its been suffering from a really annoying problem.
I have almost no power till the car reaches about 2500-3000 RPM in ANY gear. It has more pull from ~800rpm till 1500 than the 1500~3000rpm range.
And while it is in that range, the car jerks really badly(like the kind of jerks you get when you are learning to drive a manual, and are bad with the gas+clutch pedals).
The funny thing is that past 3000rpm, the car behaves totally fine.
But below 3000rpm, I got nothing. Even with the throttle at half/ 3/4th or even with it floored, it doesn't accelerate AT ALL! Even if the throttle is floored in 1st at about 5-10mph, i feel as though I'm just cruising in 5th, until it reaches 3000rpm! Thats how bad it is.

But sometimes, like today, it behaves fine for like 15-20minutes and then the problem appears again. This happens on a cold start, or even when the engine is warm.

Had taken to the service centre 2 days back and the service advisor informed me that the problem was because of a faulty knock sensor which was cleaned along with the TB. Also had a full service done. After the service, it behaved fine for about 50miles. Then the problem came back.
Also, I noticed that this problem arises immediately after the orange check engine light appears.( I have a leak in the muffler, saving up for a pair of aftermarket ones)
I was informed that the error codes got from the car pointed towards a faulty knock sensor. But why does this problem go away after sometime?? Is there anything I need to be worried about or will the problem be sorted for good if I replaced the knock sensor?

I live in India, and if I need to replace any part, it's gonna be a good 20-30day wait for the parts to arrive at the Company service centre and its gonna cost me 10-15times the amount its available for abroad. I'm 20yrs old, its my first car and bought it with the money I had saved up, and its giving me sleepless nights!
Any help/pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks !!

Welcome to 6thgen, home of the autotragics! Where everyone on here falls in love with their car at first sight and don't take the time to research about the worst transmission ever made by Honda for this generation. These are the symptoms of the transmission failing. (I had the same problem when I was automatic before I converted over to manual) Can you get the codes read yourself and post them on here?

You might get lucky and have a bad sensor on the transmission. But these sensors rarely go bad... Check the transmission fluid. What color is it? If its pinkish/red its good. If it's black and smells like burnt fluid your transmission needs to be rebuilt.

Last edited:

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
Transmission needs to be changed same thing happened to me. Your car also passed the extended warranty provided by Honda 7years/100k miles (which ever comes first) so no luck there and you are from India so I don't think the coverage goes there either.Good luck!

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
harsh jerking :lawl: sorry.. it had to be said.

as far as it doing that between shifts, the tranny on our cars suck man. i've luckily only had real issues in reverse but mine does do the opposite on me and not shift sometimes. hope it lasts longer for you man.

Spxnerd

Reaction score
The tranny is on its way out. When mine went out, my car didn't start going until it was about 4-5k rpm. Talk about a lot of wasted gas :jerkit: Luckily, I was still able to drive it a bit and not be stranded. And ^^^^ my thoughts exactly :naughtyrun:

Nguyen916

Reaction score
had similar problems like this, lost of power and wasn't able to shift gears. no cel code, so we just replaced the tranny and still had the same problem. it was the a couple of sensor on the tranny. so before tossing out the tranny check all the sensor. i think my dad brought it to honda because they are the only one with the tools to check the sensor.

Last edited:

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the troubleshooting guys. The car shifts fine, slots into every gear without any trouble, so keeping my fingers crossed that its not something major like a failing tranny. Taking the car to the Honda service centre again on monday. Ill try getting the error codes.
But from what I was informed, the error codes pointed to a failing Knock sensor.

Back