Help. Can't engage reverse gear.

ib042129

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
So my transmission decided to act up on me.
I drove to a movie theater yesterday, parked the car. When I came out to drive home, I could not engage reverse gear. I now have to push the car out of the parking space each time I park.

This is a 5-speed manual transmission we are talking about. If it is relevant, the sincro-mesh on the 5th gear is bad. (I have to double clutch to shift into 5th.) But other than that I had no problems.

And right before the reverse decided to jam there were no noticeable issues. And as of now, all other gears are still fine.

Is there something obvious and easy to fix to get the reverse to engage? Or should I start looking for a new tranny?

VonDubz

Reaction score
When you say could not engage reverse do you mean it grinds when you try, or are you just like locked out.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Not necessarily you just can't get into gear that all it happen to me except it wasn't reverse it was 1st and 3rd gear. Mind it happen to in the worst spot in NYC traffic but still consider that as an option to start first and work your way to other componets that's linked to the tranny

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
It happens to me sometimes, a friend suggested shifting into a low gear (1,2,3) and then reverse

jeffpanya

Reaction score
My first gear is like that. I gotta release the clutch out and it'll pop in. And my 3rd grinds in high rpms. And reverse sometimes I gotta slam it lol.

PilotingTot

Reaction score
Try putting it into gear moving up a bit then putting it reverse. sometimes it's as easy as finding the sweet spot and it will slip right in.

Back