Help!Car heats up then gets cold..its -35 too! :(

Khurrum

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Its about -35 where i live and my accord does not stay warm. the temperature gauge rises to almost half but then when you turn the blower on it drops back down to about 1/4 and no warm air. Its like i have a limited amount of hot air...

I just changed the thermostat with a new Honda one but still no luck...
coolant is topped off.
no visible leaks in the system (rad, hoses)
Its also a new battery (not that it matters for this problem, just trying to give you enough info)

Also, not sure if its related but its idling very poorly (shaking when stopped in neutral) and you can hear the blower motor pick up when you press the accelerator.

Thanks in advance for your help!

jwong512

Reaction score
You might have an air bubble in your coolant system. I would drain it out and bleed the system as that could also have to do with your rough idling. Also, has your car even bee in a front end accident where the radiator might've been damaged?

Khurrum

Reaction score
Air in the system could do this much damage..? I will try that thanks. No never been in an accident, rad looks in good shape.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Are you in de-frost mode, or A/C button on?
Do you have a hot water valve near where the hoses go into the cabin? Is the cable opening it properly?

frantz954

Reaction score
Sometimes that top rad hose can trap air. I try n give it a squeeze when I top off the coolant, kinda work the bubbles out n top it off again. Air would do it. Ur heater core isnt leaking or clogged up right?

Khurrum

Reaction score
Are you in de-frost mode, or A/C button on?
Do you have a hot water valve near where the hoses go into the cabin? Is the cable opening it properly?

This happens in all modes, with or without AC. I don't know about the valve

Khurrum

Reaction score
Sometimes that top rad hose can trap air. I try n give it a squeeze when I top off the coolant, kinda work the bubbles out n top it off again. Air would do it. Ur heater core isnt leaking or clogged up right?

I bleed the system and it seemed to make a very slight difference but after a while the temperature drops again. Could it be the water pump?-car has 208 000KM on it.

Back