help with 99 v6 spark plugs

Ace99

Reaction score
99 honda accord ex v6 - took it to the shop to be inspected - now they are saying I need to pay them $400 to replace all 6 sparkplugs.. is this something I could so myself.. ? is this something I need to take care of before using this car for a road trip?

Carlos28

Reaction score
You can easily do it yourself with tools you have around the house. I think it's under the master DIY sticky but I'm not sure. It's way cheaper than $400 if you do it yourself (a little more than $30 for all 6 if you use NGK's) and it should take about an hour if it's your first time. Just do a quick search and you'll find the answers you're looking for. If you have any more questions just PM me or ask here.

Carlos28

Reaction score
I would recommend doing it before your trip just to be on the safe side since you probably don't know how old the ones currently in there are.

Carlos28

Reaction score
Good things to keep in mind.

http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?p=418985

How to do it. (same process but we have 6, 3 in the front, 3 in back)

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-1998-2002-Honda-Accord-Spark-Plugs/3634/1

You need Allen keys (I forgot the size we need), spark plug socket (any auto parts store will have it), Ratchet, Extension, 6 spark plugs, anti-seize, and also a gap gauge to check the gap on the plugs.

While you're at the auto-parts store, pickup a copy of a Haynes Repair Manual. It's a really good way to learn how to Maintain your car without spending $$$ for a shop to do it. It'll also show you how to do the spark plug replacement step by step.

Carlos28

Reaction score
No problem. That's why we're all here.
I think the biggest thing to remember though is that when you're dropping the new plug in, separate the extension from the ratchet and gently give it a couple turns by hand. It's really easy to cross-thread if you're using a ratchet and that's something you really don't want to do.

Also, the three plugs at the back of the engine are a bi**h to reach the first couple of times, but it's possible.

Good luck. Report back!

Back