How did you wire your subwoofer?

riCewu

Reaction score
No problem

So I used the same route .. wired power on driver side .. rca and remote on passenger side .. through my interior panels under the dash and everything .. around my rear seats .. into my amp .. spent 4 hours alone wiring and hooking it up .. finding out my amp still doesn't power up ..

Okay I wired my amp pos and neg directly to battery and still doesn't power up (i've tried original fuse and a new fuse) .. so I'm assuming my amp is blown/broken? lmfao

Give some insight, otherwise I'm just gonna go ahead and buy a new amp ..

My subs are only 300W came out of my dads old supra 91 or something .. its been awhile I'm sure my subs work, but probably amp has gone stupid. Amp has 400W, I'm using a 600W wiring kit with a 60 amp fuse.

Namboyz

Reaction score
yeah your on the right track bro. but i would do the remote on the power side as well only cause its a power source. but i dont think its enough to cause any sound problems.

but if you did connect everything right and the amp doesnt turn on this its probably gone.

but make sure your grounds are good. where did you ground it? did you sand down the area?

what gauge wire are you using. for 600 watts im guessin its 8.

good luck. just let us know if you have anymore questions.

riCewu

Reaction score
yeah your on the right track bro. but i would do the remote on the power side as well only cause its a power source. but i dont think its enough to cause any sound problems.

but if you did connect everything right and the amp doesnt turn on this its probably gone.

but make sure your grounds are good. where did you ground it? did you sand down the area?

what gauge wire are you using. for 600 watts im guessin its 8.

good luck. just let us know if you have anymore questions.

Hey I'm not sure where to really ground it, but I grounded it to the bolt behind the rear passenger side seat, the bolt closest to rear passenger side window. I sanded it down until I saw some metal =P maybe I should've sanded more.

Yeah I'm using 8gauge wiring.

May next step will be to grounded it nicer .. any suggestions on where is a good place to ground? I don't mind sanding, but I do mind drilling lol.

My plan is to try all troubleshooting first on my amp to see if it will power on or not.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
might want to check out your remote wire and see if your amp is actually getting power from it

i had one of my amps grounded with a bolt behind the seat and it worked great dont even think i sanded the area down... :hide:

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
Hey I'm not sure where to really ground it, but I grounded it to the bolt behind the rear passenger side seat, the bolt closest to rear passenger side window. I sanded it down until I saw some metal =P maybe I should've sanded more.

try to ground it as close to where the amp is mounted as you can, without sacrificing a solid ground. the large bolts holding the seats down are usually your best bet

Namboyz

Reaction score
you should use the ground that the fuel pump uses. theres a bolt there already with a black wire there.

i wouldnt use the seat because theres a bunch of resistance there. cause of the black paint and then the color of the car. but if you sand that down thats good but theres more work there.

riCewu

Reaction score
you should use the ground that the fuel pump uses. theres a bolt there already with a black wire there.

i wouldnt use the seat because theres a bunch of resistance there. cause of the black paint and then the color of the car. but if you sand that down thats good but theres more work there.

It's all good. Fuel pump sounds like a bad idea IMO lol fuel .. and electrical circuit, it just doesn't sound safe at all. That's just my opinion lol.

So the real problem now is, my sub is 15 years old at least same with my amp.. It came out of my dads old 89 Supra. So heres the problem.. Amp powers on, power light has a red/green/orange glow rofl I'm asusming that means on.

So how do I connect my sub to the amp? At the moment I have one wire from sub positive (red clip) to my R+ on the amp .. and my black tab negative on my sub .. i have a wire running to L- .. that's how it was for the last 15 years while it was sitting in the shed. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

My subs aren't powering up, it won't BOOM! And my amp powers on (i think).

Currently I have a Sony GT-240 deck, I have turned on LOUD. Sub setting at +5 and low +5 mid +5 high +10.. but literally nothing comes out of my sub..

Could it be super old wires from amp to sub?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
It's all good. Fuel pump sounds like a bad idea IMO lol fuel .. and electrical circuit, it just doesn't sound safe at all. That's just my opinion lol.

So the real problem now is, my sub is 15 years old at least same with my amp.. It came out of my dads old 89 Supra. So heres the problem.. Amp powers on, power light has a red/green/orange glow rofl I'm asusming that means on.

So how do I connect my sub to the amp? At the moment I have one wire from sub positive (red clip) to my R+ on the amp .. and my black tab negative on my sub .. i have a wire running to L- .. that's how it was for the last 15 years while it was sitting in the shed. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

My subs aren't powering up, it won't BOOM! And my amp powers on (i think).

Currently I have a Sony GT-240 deck, I have turned on LOUD. Sub setting at +5 and low +5 mid +5 high +10.. but literally nothing comes out of my sub..

Could it be super old wires from amp to sub?
funny story about that fuel pump ground bolt...the fuel pump grounds to that bolt. who'd have thought? your fuel pump is electric...

i've had my stuff grounded there for years...some people say there could be modulation issues but i've never heard noise and never burned up any equipment.

now for the sub. how many voice coils does it have? what impedance are the voice coil(s)?

botang47

Reaction score

I've used that bolt for years and I've never had grounding issues. If I were you, I'd open up the amp and check for any burns. It's pretty obvious when an amp is fried.

inv4zn

Reaction score
Lemme know how you end up with this.

I have my amp/woofer in my trunk ghetto-rigged with zap-straps and L brackets...lol I need better ideas, lemme know what you come up with haha

*edit: did you go out to any meets? lol it'd be cool to meet up somewhere for coffee haha

Back