how to preload coilovers?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heat it up w/ a propane torch, pb blaster, heat...etc...hit it. Should eventually budge.

swollen_cu

Reaction score
you cant break it loose with a hammer and screw driver? damn! BUt yeah do what BlkCurrantKord is telling you.. heat it up a bit with a torch and then knock the **** out of it.

Accord281

Reaction score
wait wait wait...i'm trying to understand what you are trying to turn. Is it the collar labeled "C" or the sleeve, labeled "B"? Because you should turn B down to loosen the tension on C, then raise C up, then raise B up, then lower C back down to B and tighten.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
So the spring should never move freely? ever?

I swear, when I jack my car up and the wheel is off the ground, I can move my springs. I have Tein SS

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
wait wait wait...i'm trying to understand what you are trying to turn. Is it the collar labeled "C" or the sleeve, labeled "B"? Because you should turn B down to loosen the tension on C, then raise C up, then raise B up, then lower C back down to B and tighten.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you.
On certain full body coilovers theres 3 collars. One Right under the spring=preload(A)...then one after that locking it into place..then one on the very bottom (B)at the end of the threaded part meets the solid shock body.
To properly lower the car you actually thread the shock down into the body.instead of those coil sleeves where you adjust the collars up and down to get desired height. That Im Just now finding out.Thought it was just for looks..ha so Iv been lowering my car wrong ever since iv had them;luckily they were used and somewhat set low already.

So the spring should never move freely? ever?

I swear, when I jack my car up and the wheel is off the ground, I can move my springs. I have Tein SS

they should make a clunk like mine did if so..I fixed mine so now when i jack the car up its still compressed.

But I had to raise the front to 1/2"finger gap,was hitting my subframe way to much for DD..and of COULDNT get my back yet..so its 2 finger gap..FTL
2 pics from my blackberry;
after1.jpg

after2.jpg

Accord281

Reaction score
You are correct sir! And to reiterate...the springs on coilovers should always have a preload in order to achieve maximum performance AND life out of them. If you jack up your car and the spring is loose, then you need to tighten them up.

Accord281

Reaction score
no. if you tighten up the spring, your car may sit a little higher. you need to adjust the lower sleeve and nut (not the ones holding teh springs) to readjust the height.

Last edited:

tnguyen600

Reaction score
yea, my bad, i meant make it higher. What lower sleeve are you talking about though? And by nut, do you mean the damper nut?

Back