I feel as though my Tranny is going to explode in 3...2....1....

Honda4Life

Reaction score
So I may be paranoid but out all the year I have driven a car I have never heard this noise.

I was moving my car tonight to get into the garage and for some reason I left the door open to do this. When I went from P to R it make a CLANK noise. :doh:

Now I know what you are thinking...was I on a hill and didn't use my e-brake no...I always park...pull the e brake up...put the car in N so the weight of the car rests on the brake rather than the tranny then put the car in P. So you can rule that out.

To make sure I put the car in P again and went to R and it made the same noise...now is this normal for Hondas? My old car never made any noises and it had 200K on the tranny...

I know these cars have tranny issues so I may be freaking out just...a little! :wtf1:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I could be as simple as the thousands of parts inside the transmission were in exactly the right place to make that noise. If it happens on a regular basis, the I would start to worry.

Honda4Life

Reaction score
oh just to set up the scenario perfectly...The car was parked on a driveway facing towards the road so my other thought would be that it is low on tranny fluid....but I will have to warm it up and check it out tomorrow...

damn now I am super worried about this dang tranny! :bash::thinking:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Anything mechanical can make noises. If you feel that the tune up would be useless in the event of transmission failure, sell the car very soon. If the transmission fluid is low use only Honda's fluids and NEVER flush the transmission EVER.

ryandude

Reaction score
Dude my car did the same exact thing but it was only sometimes not all the time. I had to get a whole new transmission. Lucky I had an extended warranty :).
But for you I would do wat the previous owner of accord did and just sell it. And let next owner deal with it.

ejreams

Reaction score
Mine did that for a while, until I did a little tranny fluid servicing. Since then its been much better and doesn't make a nudging sound/motion.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
There's no telling with those slushbox autotragic transmissions. Install a transmission cooler. My auto made those clunking noises from the factory. What you need to watch for is when you shift from R to P or whatever, how long does it take to make the noise. There was A big difference.

Healthy : from park to reverse or whatever it'll make a clunk almost directly aftee you put it in gear
unhealthy: will make a louder noise and usually will be a couple second lag before a more abrupt clunk. Due to the clutch pack most likely going out stripping your syncros.

Put car in park and go through all the gears to test or swing by a Honda dealership where a tech can jump in the car and test it, usually free.

And remember to stay calm so you won't be irrational. Lol from your posts I picture a person sitting in a corner, in the dark, hyperventilating only able to say "transmission ...clunk....bad" over and over again

Last edited:
Back