I feel as though my Tranny is going to explode in 3...2....1....

DaveAccord

Reaction score
Anything mechanical can make noises. If you feel that the tune up would be useless in the event of transmission failure, sell the car very soon. If the transmission fluid is low use only Honda's fluids and NEVER flush the transmission EVER.

My 2000 LX made this noise for the first time tonight. First time Honda owner and I'm freaking about a potential tranny failure. Gonna take it in to the shop this Friday. So you don't suggest flushing it to rid it of any crud that may be in it?

I had always heard with older American cars that if you have never changed the tranny fluid, then you should never change it. Does that apply here as well? Don't know if it's ever been changed before. Car has 180,000 miles on it. This is my only vehicle so I have to keep it running.

Any help with what my first step should be would be greatly appreciated.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Any help with what my first step should be would be greatly appreciated.

i would look into another transmission if the D4 light blinks, if it makes noises just put up with it and be very careful. if you stall, jerk into gear and other things like that.. then yea start looking into a new tranny man. i am just at 190000 and it jerks into reverse in the morning.. just treat it like your baby.

DaveAccord

Reaction score
i would look into another transmission if the D4 light blinks, if it makes noises just put up with it and be very careful. if you stall, jerk into gear and other things like that.. then yea start looking into a new tranny man. i am just at 190000 and it jerks into reverse in the morning.. just treat it like your baby.

Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not getting the blinking D4 light. Also haven't been able to get it to repeat the noise. Guess I should stop trying now.

Defiantly will take the advice of babying it. I absolutely love this car other then the possible tranny issues or perceived issues on my part.

Thanks again.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
if need be, you can always swap your tranny with another one for pretty cheap if you do the work yourself. id have an experienced friend with you if you aren't mechanically inclined.

Back