I got crickets in my transmission!

finch13

Reaction score
Well, I'll put it this way. Back when I didn't know better, I didn't use ANY lube on the parts I mentioned above. Aside from troubles shifting into 1st and reverse (there's a TSB on that, about lubing it properly :lawl:), I haven't had any issues in 40k besides a little clutch noise, but I blame that on the Kevlar and a v1.0 design. I recently installed my same exact clutch and flywheel setup into my friends car with the updated design and it's quite a bit quieter.

low430

Reaction score
Probably the pilot bushing in the flywheel. It keeps the input shaft of the tranny from walking around and it's not a bearing. I would just deal with it and replace the flywheel next time you do a clutch.

Lube everything! Clutch fork, TO bearing face, input shaft splines for clutch disc to slide on, input shaft nose and pilot bushing hole. My personal favorite is Bendix CeramLub and I'm fairly certain it's the same lube they send with ACT clutch kits.

bendix.jpg

Pilot bearing?
I dont think our cars have a pilot bushing

finch13

Reaction score

low430

Reaction score
They have PILOT BUSHINGS. Look at the damn brass ring in the middle of the flywheel.

Please point it out, I must be stupid because No auto parts store sells any pilot bushing for our cars and honda doesnt sell one so I would be shocked if you are correct. some hondas do have them but the H22 and f23 do not have a bushing. the tranny shaft actually floats on our vehicles. Some aftermarket flywheels will have a bearing/bushing. but the factory flywheel DOES NOT.

CIMG3139.jpg

finch13

Reaction score
Well it's possible the factory flywheel floats, however the Fidanza 8lb. flywheel does have a pilot bushing in it... I have pics, but they're on my laptop at the moment.

low430

Reaction score
Well it's possible the factory flywheel floats, however the Fidanza 8lb. flywheel does have a pilot bushing in it... I have pics, but they're on my laptop at the moment.

Correct, the aftermarket flywheels sometimes have bearings/bushings. The factory Flywheel, DOES NOT.
To the OP its probably your throw out bearing. I can check it out for you sometime when we meet.

finch13

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected. Both Accord clutch jobs I did I tossed the factory flywheel in the garbage and threw the Fidanza on. It was my fault to assume the factory one had a bushing.

low430

Reaction score
Well, I stand corrected. Both Accord clutch jobs I did I tossed the factory flywheel in the garbage and threw the Fidanza on. It was my fault to assume the factory one had a bushing.

Im curious how much it changed performance? I would think a lightweight flywheel would be somewhat pointless because our engines have a balance shaft always spinning.

Maybe flywheel and balance shaft delete would be interesting.

Back