LCA ball joint replacement...

MrLazie1

Reaction score
sorry for bumping this old thread. but i have a torn lower ball joint. and i would need to replace it for my alignment. its not causing any problems right now, but i want to replace it for my alignment to hold. do you guys think that if i replace one, i should replace the other? and how long it would take?

finch13

Reaction score
Well, a good balljoint (Moog) is about $50 a pop. A balljoint press plus the Honda adapter kit is about $300 to rent (free in the end). Basically, once you separate the joint you can have a new balljoint out and in in 5 minutes. If there is no play or tearing in the other ball joints, its safe to assume that they are fine.

However, tie rod ends are very important for safety and you may want to replace them right before the actual alignment. Just break the jam nut free and they should spin right off.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
Well, a good balljoint (Moog) is about $50 a pop. A balljoint press plus the Honda adapter kit is about $300 to rent (free in the end). Basically, once you separate the joint you can have a new balljoint out and in in 5 minutes. If there is no play or tearing in the other ball joints, its safe to assume that they are fine.

However, tie rod ends are very important for safety and you may want to replace them right before the actual alignment. Just break the jam nut free and they should spin right off.

damn 50 is a lot. and i have all the tools at school. i just need the ball joint thats all. my left side looks good. but my right side the boot is torn and there is grease leaking out. but im thinking i should replace both cause what if the other side goes out you know? tie rods.. hmm im not sure if i want to replace it. they seem okay right now.

finch13

Reaction score
damn 50 is a lot. and i have all the tools at school. i just need the ball joint thats all. my left side looks good. but my right side the boot is torn and there is grease leaking out. but im thinking i should replace both cause what if the other side goes out you know? tie rods.. hmm im not sure if i want to replace it. they seem okay right now.

Yeah, Moog are not cheap, but I can just about guarantee you they will not fail for the rest of the life of the car. Napa sells a "Master Ride" line of balljoints that are fairly cheap ($20), but they will be toast in about 6 months.

A torn boot is nothing to be worried about, it'll just wear out the joint faster than normal. It's play between the ball and socket that should be a concern, especially on tie rod ends.

Bump for this...I need to replace all of these...uppers, lowers, tie rods...

It's actually fairly easy with the press. I did an upper in early August and it came out and went in perfect. The uppers are deemed "non serviceable" and Honda will sell you the entire UCA, but they can be replaced. Lowers should be the same, and tie rods ends are pretty self explanatory for replacing.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i had a moog front lower ball joint fail :hide:

warrantied it and it's been fine for well over 2 years. **** happens...

moog is ftmfw...i wont go near cheap stuff when moog makes a replacement.

finch13

Reaction score
i had a moog front lower ball joint fail :hide:

warrantied it and it's been fine for well over 2 years. **** happens...

moog is ftmfw...i wont go near cheap stuff when moog makes a replacement.

Well, with that 4x4 rig you got there, of course you're going to break ****.

I forgot about the warranty... is it lifetime?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i know people are jealous of the off road prowess :p

hmmm...the warranty should be 30 or 90 days. mine popped in 45-ish days but i know the people who work at the parts store :D

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone know if you can just put stock OE upper ball joints in the ingalls UCA's? - slider plates. I emailed them but they never answered me.

finch13

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can just put stock OE upper ball joints in the ingalls UCA's? - slider plates. I emailed them but they never answered me.

Does ingalls have balljoints in their catalog? If not, I'd think its safe to assume that they're the same as OE joints. You could always pull the boot off and measure the diameter of the sleeve.

Don't forget that the dimple in the flange on the joint lines up with the mark on the UCA.

Back