LeatherKicks Audio Build ^_^

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
In the works of getting everything installed within two weeks, by yours truly.
Looking for any advice through the process from experienced audio enthusiasts on design or general placement.

List of goodies:

Alpine CDA-117
US Amps XT800.4D V3 Amp 170Wrms @ 2ohm, 100Wrms @ 4ohm
14L"x10.5W"x 2H"
RE Audio XXX 6.5" Components 150Wrms 2ohm
RE Audio 3-way 6x9 Coaxials 100Wrms 4ohm
Sundown 3500.1D Amp 2625Wrms++ @1.5ohm
27L" x 10W" x 2.25H"
(2) JL 13W7 Subs 1500Wrms DVC 1.5ohm
Subwoofer Box Ported 17.5Hx22.5Wx 35.5L approximately

DC Power XP Alternator 270amps
(2) Optima Yellow Top Batteries
Exide Orbital Red Top
Exide Orbital Blue Top

• 60ft squared Elemental Designs Edead
  • KnuKonceptz Kolossus 0-gauge Kit
  • Assortment of 1/0 Copper Welding Cable & Absolute 0-gauge runs
  • (2) DB Link 1/0 Fuse Holders
  • Cadence 4-gauge kit, Left Over Stinger 4-gauge 17ft n fuse
  • Stinger 0-gauge terminals, Battery Terminals, Audiopipe 300A fuses
  • Stinger 10-gauge sub wire, runs of 8-gauge

Still waiting on the alternator, dampener, speakers and 0-guage kit to get here. :crazyrun:

This is the general concept as far as wiring and basic placement:

IMG00356-20110227-1336-1.jpg

I've made two battery boxes for the two Orbital batteries- Mostly MDF, Plexiglass Front Cover and Top Post covers. Working on finishing them tomorrow. Cover them with carpet and use a product close to JB-Weld to secure them in place.

Will also make a box that Ive yet to figure out for the Optima Yellow Top in the trunk well. I've already cut both the car jack holder and extra tire holder out of the way for placement.

There is no where to place the amplifier but in front of the subs as the trunk well itself is 27" wide. I will place it on wood and more than likely create a small shield made of wood and E-dead to place in front of the amplifier to the height of the amplifier or a smidge further.

As for the subwoofer box it is too wide to fit in the trunk the way it is... I mean it fits but with less than a foot from the trunk. I will have to cut into the trunk frame approximately an inch across on both sides all the way down and starting from top back seat frame to get it as far back as possible. Then take some fiberglass mat n resin and mold a 90 degree shape strengthening the frame near normal.

My main question beyond everything...is should I fire the subwoofers backwards? The box itself is basically taking up all the area that any air would even have a chance of reaching the cabin. I've watched youtube videos of people doing this and even tho its hard to tell unless in person...it sounds nasty in a bad way. Only good one I saw was with arm rest hole actually being the port in a black Nissan Maxima, disregard the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078ffTYmz4s

So like above, I was thinking of taking the carpet off and redesigning the box where they still fire backwards... but instead the port is facing the cabin.

Or even just facing them foward and building a wall to block off the trunk which would leave me with little need for dampening in the rear.

Normally with just one sub you have plenty of room for air to flow to the cabin, two not so much.

Any ideas?

Pictures coming soon. ^_^

Last edited:

eggyhustles

Reaction score
For starters, you're suppose to plan things out BEFORE purchasing product.

You're not gonna properly fit those 13w7's ported in that trunk. I believe they want about 3 cubes each before port and sub, so that's gonna be a HUGE box. Plus the amps & batteries. Seal them. They'll still perform well.

Also, what made u go with edead? their deadening is horrible.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Why not just get a Kinetix battery instead of running three batteries in the trunk?

What was the reasoning behind running two different brands of batteries in the trunk as well?

I would think about that sub setup also, because the 13w7's are picky and if you don't run them in the proper setup, they won't sound good at all.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Not if he doesn't get the proper box for the 13w7's......

I have the same situation with my S15L7's...they are in a sealed box and begging for some more space to let loose, so eventually, a new box will have to be made.

metrick1235

Reaction score
Not if he doesn't get the proper box for the 13w7's......

I have the same situation with my S15L7's...they are in a sealed box and begging for some more space to let loose, so eventually, a new box will have to be made.

This is true..

Nguyen916

Reaction score
One 13w7 is more than enough, sell the other one and buy JL Audio HighOutput Box, that thing is tuned specifically for it. Not only that but the box is huge. It takes up all of my bro's trunk in his 07 tl-s.

eggyhustles

Reaction score
One 13w7 is more than enough, sell the other one and buy JL Audio HighOutput Box, that thing is tuned specifically for it. Not only that but the box is huge. It takes up all of my bro's trunk in his 07 tl-s.

that box is tuned very high. Gonna sound like *** on music.

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
For starters, you're suppose to plan things out BEFORE purchasing product.

You're not gonna properly fit those 13w7's ported in that trunk. I believe they want about 3 cubes each before port and sub, so that's gonna be a HUGE box. Plus the amps & batteries. Seal them. They'll still perform well.

Also, what made u go with edead? their deadening is horrible.

I dont neccessarily want to say I ran out of money when it came to deadening, but the living and fun money barrier was getting near the crossing line. It was the last thing I purchased. Picked up little accessories hear and their I'll need from my local dealer.
I do plan on upgrading the deadener, but from what I've read Elemental is:

1. Butyl
2. Best bang for the buck, also on sale
3. And backed by a reputable company in the second skin range

So I figured out how much dynamat extreme puts in their trunk and door kits and went with that. 60 square feet. Something is ten times better than nothing.

As far as the box it was already premade ported and bought with woofers, it fits just the way it is but in order for me to use the box and get it back all the way to the seat frame I am going to have to cut into frame/trunk supports. Not neccessarily genius, but it'll work. I'd hate to do that though and it not do what their capable of.

From what I've been seeing most people are using bandpass boxes in car trunks, but those type of boxes are not neccessarily music friendly. So staying ported theirs not many options. I think for now I'll just hook it up with box I have and see how it sounds, if I'm displeased, I can improve later. The ports are fairly slim, I wouldn't say they are tuned any higher than 32 Hz.

Why not just get a Kinetix battery instead of running three batteries in the trunk?

What was the reasoning behind running two different brands of batteries in the trunk as well?

I would think about that sub setup also, because the 13w7's are picky and if you don't run them in the proper setup, they won't sound good at all.

The batteries came free with the amplifier and subwoofer purchase. :) Cant beat free batteries. Exide Orbitals are almost exactly the same as Optimas, just a smidge more powerful. With the DC Power 270 amp alternator, the batteries are mainly there for capacitance to maintain the amplifier current draw without question and of course keep the car running.

And I agree theres going to be no easy solution around the space needed, and subjecting that space to the cabin without cancelation and/or if the box is crap, distortion.

Last edited:
Back