LeatherKicks Audio Build ^_^

Euro-R_CL1

Reaction score
i do a lot of spl stuff like comps if your looking into deadening look into ballistic thats what i am going to run along with the rest of my boys in my car club who do sound comps run, http://www.ballistic-online.com/ i get it from my work so i get it at cost but my boy who bought it at w/e my work sells it at loves it and has shown better results then dynamat, and i will ask my buddy at my work the best enclosure for your 13s" in our cars he's a jl dealer if you need feel free to ask i can get just about anything for our 6th gens, im really into spl so this is a big thing for me

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I purchased RE XXX 6.5 comps and RE 6x9's on February 27th and on February 28th they sent me an email saying it shipped. I called them today and they said it was on backorder and hasnt even shipped.
I canceled my order and will be expecting almost $400 dollars back in 2-3days he says. And after the call, immediately my order on their website dissapeared altogether. Highly upset about their business...wont even see the money til after the weekend.

I purchased the US Amps amplifier from AudioSavings.com the same day, and recieved it two days later Fed-ex.

Placed an order with KnuKonceptz and almost the next day when I purchased it, on their website the product is no longer available. So I'm thinking they are doing the same exact thing as MobileSoundWorks.com, they take your money for a product they dont have, and could care less when you need it.
Got a shipping notice today.

I'm not going to say much about DC Power but they also are waiting on items to get there and havent even started on it. I'm not going to complain to much about that since they are switching to a new design... but a month and week estimated waiting time is a little excessive.

Last edited:

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
i do a lot of spl stuff like comps if your looking into deadening look into ballistic thats what i am going to run along with the rest of my boys in my car club who do sound comps run, http://www.ballistic-online.com/ i get it from my work so i get it at cost but my boy who bought it at w/e my work sells it at loves it and has shown better results then dynamat, and i will ask my buddy at my work the best enclosure for your 13s" in our cars he's a jl dealer if you need feel free to ask i can get just about anything for our 6th gens, im really into spl so this is a big thing for me

Sounds good, the box I have now was in an Chevrolet Avalanche originally and built specifically for the subs...so I doubt he sacrificed any air space with the box itself. From a calculator comes out to 6.5 cubic feet, the center is sealed with a divider and there are two separate ports. So probably a good 3 cubic ft per sub.

I'm just worried blocking off its entrance into the cabin is going to be a mess....I've already cut the frame pieces out and have a little more to cut. Its about a inch away from the back seat frame now, and has sunk down enough to where 6x9's will easily fit.

I'll probably build a box on top of the sub box for the 6x9's depending on how they sound without it. I'd hate for the mids to be more dominant in the rear than front.

Last edited:

Euro-R_CL1

Reaction score
you may wanna look into what im doing, and relocating your rear deck speakers into your rear doors, and ditching 6x9s there no that great for sound quality due to being oval shaped, and yea you gotta be carful about choking the air in and out of the cabin youll notice a huge difference, instead of making the box rear firing with the cubs of air space you have in your trunk, try firing them into the cabin with a port, i cant really explain it well in words, but once i get my box built ill show you what im doing, convinced my buddy whos been helping me with my build, to not get so complex with the box, so as soon as i sell my kicker my box will be made haha

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
you may wanna look into what im doing, and relocating your rear deck speakers into your rear doors, and ditching 6x9s there no that great for sound quality due to being oval shaped, and yea you gotta be carful about choking the air in and out of the cabin youll notice a huge difference, instead of making the box rear firing with the cubs of air space you have in your trunk, try firing them into the cabin with a port, i cant really explain it well in words, but once i get my box built ill show you what im doing, convinced my buddy whos been helping me with my build, to not get so complex with the box, so as soon as i sell my kicker my box will be made haha

They wont sound bad at all, they have four silk dome tweeters all together. Reason for building the box would be to give the mid of the 6x9 more emphasis.

I have had Memphis M-class speakers all around in a Mazdaspeed Protege before: components up front, 6x9's rear, 6,5's rear doors............... and the 6.5" coaxials I placed in boxes attached to the subwoofer box was more dominant in midrange than all the speakers combined, thats more or less what I'm concerned with.

I do plan on sound deadening the entire door though. Then rivoting all the holes in the doors with sheet metal. And then deadening that as well. Thats about as far as I'm going to take it with the components up front for now.

Yeh post it up whenever you get the chance on your build, mine obviously is going to take longer than I wanted it to.... :boohoo:

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the disappointment with your project.

I didn't so it, but the suggestion of not even filling the rear ports is actually a good idea....the rear doors don't have alot of room in them, so you do have to consider what type of speakers you would mount in there, but since the window only goes half way down(I assume you have a sedan), that is helpful.

I considered that as well, just didn't want to bother cutting in to the doors.

As long as you get all your funds back, there is hope that the build will still turn out the way you wanted. Keep us posted.

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
Option Uno:

No real extra work. Could play it with seat up and down. With definitely have more trunk flex. May or may not be louder. Would cool the amp but also give it a sound bath.

IMG00385-20110311-1753.jpg

IMG00386-20110311-1754.jpg

Option Two:

Very easy to close it off, would sound like poop with seats up, but maybe not if I let the arm holder down. Would look great with seats down. Minimizes any risk to amplifier in rear. And could possibly mount four channel in rear as well.

IMG00388-20110311-1755.jpg

IMG00389-20110311-1755.jpg

Last edited:

Euro-R_CL1

Reaction score
that was the one thing i was worried about for you with the need for that big of a box. with the subs facing the rear you will chock the air going into the cabin and like you stated with them facing into the cabin you dampen the sound with the seats up, but the little door thing down will help a tad bit, i duno id say go to your you local car audio store or box builder and see if they can rta your car, or see what box designs they can come up with for you, i dont know exactly what you are building towards, but i build for spl comp's so i go for straight ground pounding bass

LeatherKicks

Reaction score
Never been to a sound competition, the loudest subwoofer I've owned is a 15" Memphis M3 ported. I've had nearly every one the entire time they kept redesigning them.

Had two older design rockford fosgate hx2 12's ported in a supercharged Monte Carlo also but I ended up not keeping the car long. 280whp,300wtq Worst mistake, car selling wise I ever made.
Mazdaspeed Protege was the worst buying wise I ever made, kept losing its value as I made payments and the insurance was twice the car payment. :thinking:

This would actually be my first big build I've done, most of my systems screamed at you more than SPL.

I'm thinking firing them forward would be the best idea altogether, like they do in trucks. I'm going to do alittle research on it and possibly ask my dealer what he thinks.

Last edited:
Back