LED Bulb Size

Mikey

Reaction score
Replacing a few bulbs with LEDs and Im not sure how the size chart works. superbrightleds sells the neo-wedge bulbs in 3mm, 4mm and 5mm sizes. Is that overall heighth, diameter of the base, the bulb...what?

I know there's generally only 3 different sizes when it comes to all the center console stuff; AC display, clock, hazard, etc. Just wasnt sure how they were measured.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: LED Bubl Size

I believe it is the size (diameter) of the base that turns/locks. I just bought a couple 3mm and 5mm LED's from SB LED's.

Mikey

Reaction score

Damn typo, lol.

That's what I figured it was. What bulbs did you buy them for Chris?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

All I’ve bought from them so far are bulbs for the clock and HVAC LCD’s. They were 3mm and 5mm NEOx LED Instrument bulbs, respectively. I ordered both the NEOx-x and NEOx-xHP versions, but found that the NEOx-x lit up the screen better because of the diffuser it has. The xHP’s have the one direction facing LED which didn’t work too well inside the small housings when it came to illuminating the displays...I think they'd be better used elsewhere.

From the top of this page:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/instrument.html

I still can’t get the clock bright enough though, I think whatever LED goes in there needs a resistor on it, because I've tried 3 different bulbs in there. So I’m currently looking for an LED with a built in resistor for a clock LED…not sure if that exists.

All the other LED’s I have inside my car are from LEDAutomotive. The HVAC buttons look good…but the gauge cluster not so much. I’m thinking about trying SB’s LED’s in it…or just getting color incandescent bulbs, which might be better because they won’t cause hotspots and you still get the different color.

Frankly all this is a PITA, lol.

Last edited:

Bax

Reaction score

Chris did you add another led onto the other side of the clock?

OP, what exactly are you putting leds into? just about each different thing requires a different method.

EDIT: Chris, also did you line the back of your gauge cluster with aluminum foil? It helps reduce hot spots drastically.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score

Frankly all this is a PITA, lol.
iknorite? Lol. It's Honda's fault for not just doing this from the factory, lol. Ive seen the LED gauge cluster both ways; drop-in LED and soldered LED. The soldered was looks 10x better but its a HUGE PITA. I just want ones in the center console.

OP, what exactly are you putting leds into? just about each different thing requires a different method.
The bulb on my hazard switch burned out so it needs replacing. Might as well do the clock while im at it. And Ive seen the back of the AC controls, so i might as well do them, too.

I dont think I'll touch the gauge cluster. I'll let Chris play with colored bulbs and see how that looks, lol. I'd like to play with the window switches and see if I couldnt do anything with them but I think they're the solder type bulbs.

Bax

Reaction score

I already know how to get the gauge cluster to look good, it's simple. Just imagine this with whatever color you want.
2e2qud2.jpg

Your a/c controls are going to require some soldering as well. It's not hard though once you get the hang of soldering. Just don't lay your arm on the iron when it's hot like i've done countless times. :lawl:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Your cluster looks sweet...I'm just too afraid to take my needles off. Last time I had it apart, it seemed like there should be enough room to unpeel the gauge face and rub off the blue filter...thus eliminating the need to take off the needles altogether.

I didn't solder in my HVAC area, and it worked out nicely. Probably could be brighter though, if I had soldered.

Chris did you add another led onto the other side of the clock?

Wait...I thought there was just one LED on the left side of the clock (when you're looking at the clock from the back)? Is there another one inside the housing that you have to take off to get to?

If so...I am a big idiot.

EDIT: Chris, also did you line the back of your gauge cluster with aluminum foil? It helps reduce hot spots drastically.

I didn't, next time I take it out maybe I'll give this a try.

I wonder if there are quality color incandescent bulbs out there.

Last edited:

Bax

Reaction score

Wait...I thought there was just one LED on the left side of the clock (when you're looking at the clock from the back)? Is there another one inside the housing that you have to take off to get to?

If so...I am a big idiot.

No there's just one. haha But you can wire it up to have another led on the other side like this:
clockrear.jpg

clock.jpg

Interior.jpg

credits to shenaniganz08 for the pics

I didn't, next time I take it out maybe I'll give this a try. I wonder if there are quality color incandescent bulbs out there.
I'm not sure. PIAA are good, but they are expensive. And I only have 4, you need 5, so that's a no-go. haha

Your cluster looks sweet...I'm just too afraid to take my needles off. Last time I had it apart, it seemed like there should be enough room to unpeel the gauge face and rub off the blue filter...thus eliminating the need to take off the needles altogether.

I didn't solder in my HVAC area, and it worked out nicely. Probably could be brighter though, if I had soldered.
Thank you :)
I'm not going to lie, taking the needles off is the most annoying thing ever. Be careful not to break them. Best thing to use, is in all seriousness, a fork. Yes, like one you eat with. put the very tip of the fork under the needle, with the tiny metal pole in the middle with 2 prongs of the fork on each side, and use it like a crow bar. works like a charm.

I don't think you would be able to get the blue filter off like that though, it takes some serious time and effort. It doesn't just "wipe" off, you have to scrub it furiously. lol It took me 3 and a half hours to get it all off.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

^Psh I can't do that sh1t. I ain't no MacGuyver.

Can I send my clock to you? lol Or have you ever seen an LED with a resistor built into it?

Back