life after the 6th gen

idriveanaccord

Reaction score
i was thinkin of gettin the s2k! in maybe a year or two when im in college, besides space, what are some things that really bug you about the s2k?

Namboyz

Reaction score
my advice would be to enjoy the car for what it is, a reliable, economical, good looking daily driver and dont try to turn it into a racecar unless you have unlimited funds or something. if you want a car more focused on performance id find a new car instead of trying to turn the accord into one.

great advice=)

nexTOme

Reaction score
I remember admiring your car among very few clean cars on this forum back in the day like 5 years ago? I had barely purchased my 6th-gen and no legit mods at that time. Then, few months later, saw your part out thread, bought your omni coil-over, which didn't quite work out in the end, but you straightened everything out for me.

Looks like you're enjoying the s2k very much, and I am pretty jealous lol.
I have been always wanted to get one and I considered getting s2k when selling my 6th-gen, but couldn't find the right one on right time. So just as everyone and their mom, ended up getting 7th-gen v6 6speed.

Nice to see one of OG checking back to the site.
Looking at your car brings lots of memories from old days, and makes me miss my 6th-gen haha.

Zero-Defect

Reaction score
I remember ur accord too. Always liked the pic u used as ur signature. So not to knock a beautiful car, but r u planning on swapping out the stock projectors for the S2K-r's when they're released? They supposedly will blow the originals away by far.

theaccordian

Reaction score
+1 always wanted an s2k, just wonderin'

Pros:

-fun, this car puts a smile on my face everyday.this is one of the most uncompromised focused sports cars out there. closest thing youre going to get to a race car on the street. it still scares me sometimes.I look forward to the drive to work and once I get there I want to drive home again. revving to 9k never gets old. handling is razor sharp itll make your accord feel like an oil tanker.

the shifter-I can for a fact say you will not shift a more precise and direct shifter in a production car than in an s2k. the shifter is not connected to the tranny with a cable. the shifter is directly connecting to the tranny under it. shifting just snaps into place with no play and you can feel exactly what the tranny is doing.

-cheap to maintain- theres really not a difference in price when it comes to maintenance from an accord as long as you follow maintenance schedule

-economical- I drive like an idiot so this doesnt pertain to me. but if you drive it like a normal person and dont vtec all the time. you can get 25-28 mpg.

-convertible- if you live in warmer climates, driving top down really adds to the driving experience. wind blowing in your hair while at 9k rpm. i now find non convertibles claustrophobic. also provides instant heat relief when youre car has been sitting in a hot parking lot all day.

-price- you can get high mileage ap1s around 8k now. decent condition ones for 10-12k

-ergonomic and fit and finish- has everything you need at your fingertips, ac/heater and volume controls right by the steering wheel. interior quality is great. seats are super comfy and everything just seems so well thought out, engineered, and purposeful.

cargo space- the trunk is surpisingly large.

looks- self explanatory

driving experience- this car is simply a stimulating visceral sensory overload experience. you can feel, the engine vibrating through the pedals to your feet and up your spine, you feel what the tranny is doing with your hand. the sound of the engine spinning at 9k. the smells and feel of the open air on your face. sometimes i drive the car aimlessly just to relieve stress. its good therapy. itll also teach you to be a better driver because people who dont learn usually lose their s.

Cons:

refinement: this car is loud, cramped, and bumpy. youre gonna hear wind noise, rattles, engine screaming, tranny popping, everything. normal women would probably hate it

radio: the original ap1 just came with 2 speakers. the s2k is the most piss poor sound system of any car I have ever driven. I cant hear it at all with the top down on the freeway. it doesent have those antennas in the rear glass so reception is also horrible.(later year ap1s and ap2s stereos are better)

interior room: there isnt any, if youre over 6" this car is gonna be a tight squeeze. my friend whos 6'4" with seat all the way back knees are pressed against the dash and head is above the roll hoops. so if i get in an accident he will be crushed to death. the radio door attacks my knee. reaching behind you to get things out of the storage compartment is a pain.

cupholder: only room for one drink and it gets in the way of shifting. you have to raise your arm over the drink while you shift.(ap2 holder has space for 2 cups)

no torque: due to its small displacement and high revving nature, you need to rev this car just to keep up in traffic. you just make a bunch of noise if youre not in vtec. the engine is very similar to turbo lag except the power doesent kick in till around 65k and the kick isnt as hard as a turbo.(ap2 has shorter gearing and increased displacement but 8k redline but overall performance is not much different from ap1)

top- the top wears after repeated use and is prone to ripping a replacement top is around 1,000 installed and 00-01 ap1s have plastic tops that yellow and crack unless you take care of them, 02+ have glass tops.

top down- its not its all cracked up to be. very few days out of the year is there perfect top down weather. too cold, the wind amplifies the cold. too hot, imagine standing in the middle of the freeway with exhaust fumes surrounding you and the sun beating down on you. this is how it feels to get caught in traffic on a 100 degree day. i find that on summer nights and on overcast warm days are the best for top down.

not fast in a straight line- this car at its best is a low 14s car. so neon srt4s and the like will spank you in a straight line.

mods- expensive, I dunno why but I guess parts makers think s2k owners are rich and can afford 1,000 dollar intakes, and 2,000 dollar exhausts. very hard to make power na, most bolt ons do nothing.

negative attention- get alot of kids making snide remarks, ricers and rednecks revving and trying to race you. loss of privacy with top down everyone can see what youre doing.

not for beginning drivers- the ap1 especially has a tendency for snap oversteer I almost spun out at least 3 times in my year in half of ownership. this car has no safe understeer dialed in or traction control nannys to bail you out. this car will bite you if you lose grip. you have to be alert at all times whil driving. when its wet have to be super careful. steering is electronically assisted so its numb and its hard to feel what the tires are doing. I find myself driving slower in this car than in a fwd vehicle because if i make a mistake im done. alot of people say on the ap1 you dont focus on driving you focus on not dying(ap2 dials in more understeer and has traction control)

insurance rates: high, im 23, perfect driving record, good student discount,1000 deductible and pay 750 for 6 months with allstate.

Conclusion:

This is a niche car and its not for everyone. That niche is for people that value the driving experience and dont value super comfy, numb ride and electronic gadgetry. luxury cars bore me and drive me bonkers on long drives. the fun this car provides me more satisfaction than any in car entertainment system. if you have a family, girlfriend, haul stuff, or drive around your friends alot this car is obviously not for you. but if youre all about unadulterated, not watered down, raw driving experience this cars for you. if you need a little more refinement and luxury at the expense of rawness you should consider an ap2. I strongly consider you test drive the car. i was ehh when it came to s2ks until i drove one. after that i never looked back

Last edited:

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
My dad had one, and after driving it for a couple of months, the lack of torque and comfort really got to me. since my dad is 6ft +, eventually it gave him back problems after using it as a DD. It was not a comfortable DD vehicle

chasnsx

Reaction score
as i look back if i could do it again, id stay away from engine mods, if anything alll those boltons made my car slower. my advice would be to enjoy the car for what it is, a reliable, economical, good looking daily driver and dont try to turn it into a racecar unless you have unlimited funds or something.

That's the best advice I've seen. 6thgens make great cruisers and they respond really well to suspension mods but the only way to get a lot of power under the hood is to spend an insane amount of money. So do an intake and a catback, call the engine done, and get on with wheels, tires, suspension, lights, ICE, and enjoy the car for what it is -- fun on a budget.

Recently when our Mercedes went to the dealer for a lot of detailing, the dealer gave us a new Toyota Camry for a service loaner (the dealer used to have C class Mercedes loaners but they cheaped out).

My wife decided that she would rather drive our 6GA than the Toyota, and so after she drove home in the Toyota she parked it in the garage, and drove our 6GA to work for the next two days. To me the 6GA is like a Golden Retriever -- not the fastest dog in the pack, but a reliable friend and comfortable companion that you always want to have around.

chasnsx

Reaction score
interior room: there isnt any, if youre over 6" this car is gonna be a tight squeeze. my friend whos 6'4" with seat all the way back knees are pressed against the dash and head is above the roll hoops. so if i get in an accident he will be crushed to death. the radio door attacks my knee. reaching behind you to get things out of the storage compartment is a pain.

The Acura NSX is even worse in this regard. I'm 5'8" and there was not a lot of room in that thing for me. I have size 10 feet and some of my sneakers hardly fit down the footwell, and there was no storage behind the seats -- the seats were right up on the firewall.

not for beginning drivers- the ap1 especially has a tendency for snap oversteer I almost spun out at least 3 times in my year in half of ownership. this car has no safe understeer dialed in or traction control nannys to bail you out. this car will bite you if you lose grip. you have to be alert at all times whil driving. when its wet have to be super careful. steering is electronically assisted so its numb and its hard to feel what the tires are doing. I find myself driving slower in this car than in a fwd vehicle because if i make a mistake im done. alot of people say on the ap1 you dont focus on driving you focus on not dying(ap2 dials in more understeer and has traction control)

The NSX was like that, too. I snapped a 1-2 shift at the top of the tach in VTEC on a long freeway onramp and the back of the car started to go sideways. Driving that car to work was like trying to trim your fingernails with a switchblade.

Back