Looking to buy new amp

KombatVirus

Reaction score
You could get away with running 8 gauge, but definitely upgrade to 4 if you have any way of doing it, because 8 is really pushing it and asking for problems even at 500 RMS. In a perfect situation it would work, but in reality often the gauge is under-stated (the actual wiring is smaller which a gauge of insulation around it). Plus if you ever decide to upgrade in the future the wiring will already be there.

Personally I have a kenwood amp 500W RMS (250W @ 2 ohms x 2) that powers 2 10' alpine type S subs, and it works very well, I would recommend it.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
^ Not really.

The amp is efficient with power consumption. It only calls for a 60 amp fuse. 8 gauge will be fine. Just be sure that its properly grounded as well.

KombatVirus

Reaction score
^ Not really.

The amp is efficient with power consumption. It only calls for a 60 amp fuse. 8 gauge will be fine. Just be sure that its properly grounded as well.

Fair enough, however any shop that you will speak to here will almost always say to use 4 gauge for upgradability and safety , but you could call that a money grab.

I know for instance I bought a 4 gauge wiring kit that ended up being a 6 or 8 gauge and the rest was insulation.

Anyway to the OP, 8 gauge will be fine, but I recommend to get 4, in case you want to upgrade something in the future or the quality of your current cable is poor.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

Typically I size wire based on fuse size, but in all reality your fuse is probably 20% oversize for max power. This would still recommend a 6ga wire. How often you reach the peak current draw is another factor, you may only use 10 or 15A most of the time. Alpine recommends 8ga wire for that amp.

The big thing is the power supply portion of an amp steps up the 12V input to drive the rails. The more the step-up, the lower the efficiency. Lower efficiency = more heat. So if the amp is in a confined space bigger wire would be better. You may also be able to use a capacitor to help, install the cap back by the amp, it will provide the surge amperage, lowering the peak demand on the power cable.

tj_harris

Reaction score
I've been looking to sell my Rockford Fosgate P500.2, I could post it up on eBay and ship it out to ya!

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I've been looking to sell my Rockford Fosgate P500.2, I could post it up on eBay and ship it out to ya!

Sorry, I already ordered an Alpine MRP-M500 amp off ebay, but post your amp in the for sale section, someone might want to grab that off you.

Back