loose endlinks bolts (stripped)

simplesedan99

Reaction score
what my dad and i did was i got them loose enough so they could be cut off (i just used a dremal tool :) ) so then after you cut them they just fall out and all that jazz...then (the torque thing is like a wrench but when you sqeeze the handles together they like snap into place its neer damn impossible to get whatever is between the top n' bottom to move...then i got wrench and mu dad held the "torque thing" and muscled it off...i talked to a honda tech guy i know and he said that you sure if you can get the bolts off. you sure can use them again....the threading is bent at the top of the bolt(not the nut) and when you screw it down it pushes that down which like locks it in place so that it cant come off(safty i guess) but he said that if you can get it off then you can use it....the ebay thing is fine i guess i got mine from the dealership and it only came with two bols so i dont know why but i just used to the ones from my old endlinks. i will see if i can post some pics of the torque things and my endlinks.

BostonAndy

Reaction score
If you can get a blade behind the nut and cut it off, there should be no problem sliding it out. If you can get at the threads on the back side, cutting it there would prob. be the easiset way to get it off.

I couldn't move the nut at all, so there really wasn't anywhere to cut mine.

I had to use a pry bar and pop the end off. Then I used vice-grips to clamp down on the ball end of the stud and used the impact wrench to turn the nut on the front.

BostonAndy

Reaction score
xluben said:
since these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140111291909

come with both bolts, i think i'll just chop the old ones off and replace it all :D

how much did you pay at the dealer? MSRP looks like $30 each!

Those look like the links that I got. I bought them off e-bay. I got the package deal, all 4 for about $70 shipped - thats almost half what it would cost to buy all 4 at the dealer. Buying all 4 at once is the most cost effective way to go - you will eventually need to replace them even if you don't need to now.

My new links came with nuts with locking nylon inserts (a little plastic washer like thing imbedded into the top of the nut). Nut with nylon locking inserts are designed to only be fasted once - meaning that they need to be replaced whenever you remove them.

xluben

Reaction score
thanks!

both nuts on one side are currently loosened, but i can't get them all the way off.

it should be enough clearance to get a cutting wheel in there and hack off the bolt.

the other side i didn't even try. hopefully i can just get them to screw off like they're sposed to :thumbsup:

i think the nylon locking nuts are just meant to resist backing off under vibration. i don't think they're permanent.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Ok so I got a set of front end links from Honda today..decided not to get the nuts that come with them since they are really tough to get on and off..went to the hardware store and bought some 10mm x 1.25 and washers..they fit perfectttt and go on and off with no problems at all.

xluben

Reaction score
cool. i just ordered my endlinks from ebay. they don't come with any nuts.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
What you can do is get some of that 5 min JB weld and put it on the end of an allen wrench. It has worked for me in the past.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Ok..so I found it best to lube the **** out of the bolt before sticking the nuts back on makes life easier..also helps to take them off..anyways got sick and tired of trying to hold a wrench on the nut while I ran the allen wrench not to mention it starts to angle and you really can't crank on it with a wrench anymore so I made a "custom" wrench..vise+hammer+9/16 open end wrench = custom tool :rock:

wrench.jpg

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I did very similar shaved, i just put a small pipe over the allen wrench, wedged it up against whatever i could find under the car and loosed with a wrench.

Back