Loud Noise in the Rear??

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have someone sit in the backseat cuz I can barely hear anything over the exhaust. Try jacking up the rear end and wiggling the suspension, compress it and decompress it with another jack and see if you get the same sounds.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Check your swaybar linkages ASAP!

I had a very similar noise, and the car felt a bit looser on the road. I checked, it was coming from the front - lookee! a busted front right sway linkage. I bet that's your problem except in the back. Let us know!!

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Have someone sit in the backseat cuz I can barely hear anything over the exhaust.

thats kind of surprising cause I dont touch the gas til you hear the noise. turn up your volume about halfway, you should be able to hear it.

hmm, ill definately have to get a hold of a jack and check it out. ill take it to a shop and see if it might be the linkages, thanks for the input!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Don't take it to a shop man, you can just stick your head under the car and look yourself. Don't waste your time. If it is the linkages, buy Moog linkages from O'reilly auto or something, then break off the old ones. They can be a b*tch to get off, but it's not hard. 20 min job to replace a linkage.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, i heard it loud and clear. def check the rear sway bar endlinks. especially since the first two happened when you were turning.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
im assuming that endlinks and linkages are the same...either way how do I know if they're bad, or am I just checking to see if they're loose? I tried to move my sway bar and it was right in place.

poff1986

Reaction score
odds are its your sway bar end links, dont have too many other problems with accords clunking in the rear other than links, how the links are assembled: steel collar inside of the collar there is a plastic piece that fits over a steel ball on a bolt which allows it to move freely, take the sway bar and move it up and down, if it moves at all/ feels loose, replace the links. if it doesnt move but you can slide the sway bar side to side, replace the links and sway bar mounting bushings. to replace the links the easiest way is to pop off the steel collar with a pry bar, start at the top, on the sway bar, then pop them off the control arm. take a hammer or a cut off tool, cut/pound the plastic caps on the ball/bolt. once those are removed take a vise grips and a 14MM swivel socket on an impact and remove the bolts, you will probally want to buy new nuts too.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
well, i jacked the car up today and even had a friend look at it too. the sway bar was firmly in place and would not move at all. i guess i should jus replace the end links anyways, right?

Back