Low brake pedal

Emo236e

Reaction score
I replaced the front pads and rotors and now have a low brake pedal. I've bled all four brakes 5 times now using almost every method other than forcing fluid into the master cylinder (don't have the tools). I've gravity bled, pump the pedal bled, and vacuum bled.

I did forget to remove the mc cap before depressing the pistons. Totally stupid mistake I know, and I'm starting to think I jacked the mc. Before going out and buying a new one I wanted to get some input. I tried pumping the pedal with the car off to build up pressure and it doesn't seem to be losing pressure, but it's hard to tell. Even after builiding up pressure though, the pedal still seems to have a little more left to push down though, if that makes sense. It's not rock hard until the pedal goes down an inch or so when pumped up.

Any help is appreciated!!

Emo236e

Reaction score
I've been driving it. It stops just fine just the brake pedal does little till its touching the floor.

Emo236e

Reaction score
To clarify, it does stop and stops safely, just not a high firm pedal like it should be. Of course, some braking power is gone.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
When u pumped the breaks did u put the peddle 2 the floor? If so u might have jacked up ur seals in the master cylinder. The master cylinder doesn't normally go 2 the floor so the shaft gets rusty, so when u tryed 2 bleed them u pushed that rusty part through the already old n worn seals causing it not 2 hold the pressure. I think ur g2 need 2 rebuild your MC

Emo236e

Reaction score
I'm thinking the mc was jacked when the caliper pistons were compressed under pressure. The pedal wasnt pumped too low. I'm just making sure its not something else before replacing the mc. Not sure if there is a need to Bleed the abs in some special way or something else random like that.

619rcr

Reaction score
Do you have rear drums. Did you adjust them out? Improper adjustment will cause a low pedal. If you have 4 wheel discs, You have air in the system most likely. You shouldn't need to abs bleed unless the accumulator depleted itself or you activated abs trying to stop. Get a mityvac and bleed the system in proper order. RR, LR, RF, LF. Or get a professional brake bleed or brake flush done at a shop. It may take several times to bleed out.

Emo236e

Reaction score
Thanks! I do have rear drums and have not adjusted them out. Is that just via a star nut or do I need to remove the covers? I'll try that. It doesn't feel like a mc because the pedal isn't falling to the floor, i just have to depress the pedal rather far to brake.

Emo236e

Reaction score
And the brakes were bled in the right sequence and I have and used a mityvac to vacuum bleed as well as gravity bleed and pump bleeding.

619rcr

Reaction score
Thanks! I do have rear drums and have not adjusted them out. Is that just via a star nut or do I need to remove the covers? I'll try that. It doesn't feel like a mc because the pedal isn't falling to the floor, i just have to depress the pedal rather far to brake.

If you know how to adjust it from the back, its the best because you can spin the wheel and adjust the star wheel until you hear a light drag. But removing the drum and adjusting the wheel works too. I usally turn a few clicks at a time and test the ebrake. Just make sure the drum is on before you test it (no brainer, but if you hurry you may forget). I believe 6 clicks is normal for our cars for ebrake to engage, but its all up to you. This should substantially decrease the distance to engage the brakes.

BTW im orig from SD -619rcr (racer)

Last edited:
Back