Manual Transmission and Traffic

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
This is actually a good read, I will be driving manual soon and it's helpful to hear how people handle this differently.

dtraill27

Reaction score
+1 good read. looking to pick up a tsx 6speed. maybe a noob question but do you have to depress the clutch if youre braking say on the highway. like the guy in front of you slows down a little so you have to hit the brakes but dont need to downshift

itzcharlie

Reaction score
+1 good read. looking to pick up a tsx 6speed. maybe a noob question but do you have to depress the clutch if youre braking say on the highway. like the guy in front of you slows down a little so you have to hit the brakes but dont need to downshift

If ur going high enough speeds u don't need to use the clutch .

[email protected].

Reaction score
Yup. The car won't stall if youre going 25+ even in 5th gear.

But you won't have any acceleration.

You'll learn the mph ranges of each gear, and if you slow down beyond the lower end of a gear's range, you'll downshift. Especially on the 4cyl. engines, they don't like being dogged. So, in 5th gear I never drive it below 50. And if I'm going say 60 and traffic slows to 45, it goes into 4th.

All that stuff will soon be second nature.

Toyojake

Reaction score
I have a tendency to hold the clutch in at lights mainly because I ride and I always sit with my clutch in on my bike so I just hold the clutch usually without thinking about it. If I think about it while I'm doing it I'll shift to neutral and let it out. At really long lights sometimes I'll even shift my automatic into neutral and e-brake it. My car seems to idle better in neutral than D4.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
I have a tendency to hold the clutch in at lights mainly because I ride and I always sit with my clutch in on my bike so I just hold the clutch usually without thinking about it. If I think about it while I'm doing it I'll shift to neutral and let it out. At really long lights sometimes I'll even shift my automatic into neutral and e-brake it. My car seems to idle better in neutral than D4.

-By doing that you're shorting the life of the clutch

Sometime when I merge onto the highway in lower gears, for instance second gear, I'll shift without press in the clutch pedal going thru each gears until 5th. I already know this something your not suppose to do all the time but its useful when your just trying gain quick acceleration

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
-By doing that you're shorting the life of the clutch

Sometime when I merge onto the highway in lower gears, for instance second gear, I'll shift without press in the clutch pedal going thru each gears until 5th. I already know this something your not suppose to do all the time but its useful when your just trying gain quick acceleration

ive tried clutchless shifting and it always grinds...i given up on it and just clutch away. and my throwout bearing is starting to whine :(

and my shift points are
1st-2nd about 15 mph ~2.5-3k
2nd-3rd about 25 mph ~2.5k
3rd-4th about 35 mph ~...i forgot
4th-5th about 45-55 mph depending on a lot to do with surroundings

manual>auto haha

Back