MDX Steering Wheel Questions

ey361995

Reaction score
Well I really should have taken a better pic, the top is a little bit rough but its only a small portion and isn't really an issue for me, it was just in the sun a lot I suppose or the owner felt up the steering wheel everyday. I payed 50 bucks and it came with its own airbag support so I didn't have to modify mine.

kthung

Reaction score
Hmm mine is about the same with wearing at the top. Everything else is fine. I'm guessing these wheels are a little less durable than the stock hard vinyl ones that come on our accords

ey361995

Reaction score
Yeah, plus normal MDX owners probably don't condition their steering wheel like they should haha. Vinyl is very different than leather of course :birgits_tiredcoffee

ickna11

Reaction score
I picked one of these up in mint condition black perf leather for $20 on eBay a couple months back, awesome wheel! :D

kthung

Reaction score
Yeah, plus normal MDX owners probably don't condition their steering wheel like they should haha. Vinyl is very different than leather of course :birgits_tiredcoffee

Speaking of which, how should we be conditioning the conditioning these steering wheels? And if it's already a little scuffed is there anything we can do to restore it?

ey361995

Reaction score
Well me personally I use Mothers VLR and its just like a cleaner, but it does the job for me. As far as restoring a steering wheel you would have to sand it down and have it re-dyed.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You should use a good leather cleaner on it, then use a leather conditioner on a semi-regular basis. Other than that, just don't wear gloves with rough material where you grip the wheel, etc.

gsrteg

Reaction score
I agree the MDX wheel is so much better. I couldn't find one in tan, so ended up getting a wood grain w/ black leather. Plastidipped the air bag cover black.

kthung

Reaction score
So just as a follow up to anyone that finds this thread regarding steering wheel restoration here's what I did:

My wheel had some pretty deep scratches on the side perforated sections and was kind of worn on the top smooth section.

1. Wash with a damp rag using warm soapy water. This will remove the oils and grease from your hands over the years as well as hydrate the leather (leather is skin after all)
  2. Let the wheel air dry for about 15 min or so
  3. Sand using 1000 grit sandpaper to smooth out the scratches
  4. Re-dye using Meltonian Nu-life color spray

Some of the scuffs were quite deep and I was afraid of taking off too much material. The sanding combined with the dye/conditioner has really smoothed it out enough. Visually I can still see some scratches but they're imperceptible to my hands.

BTW gsrteg that's a SWEET steering wheel.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
that wheel looks so nice being that fresh, the tl-s wheel i've had since 2005 is so shot now haha, peel city :sad: tan ones aren't easy to find either...at least they haven't been for me haha.

Back