Metal AC Knobs

DrOwZee

Reaction score
How much would it cost roughly with a group buy? I would have to see an actual model before i talk money.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^how much do you think everyone is willing to shell out for these? I have the tools, and software, to make an accurate digital model, and my friend works as a machinist and able (not necessarily wanting to) to do these.

for fabrication, many people think you just plop the digital model in the comp, throw on a piece of medal, and press a button, but it's not that simple. But if the money talks, he might be able to justify the hrs spent making these

Since you know what fabricating one of these entails, maybe have that convo with your buddy and give him the rundown of what it would take. How much experience does he have? If he knows what he’s doing, he should be able to come up with an honest estimate for a pair of knobs. The type of machinery he uses has a big impact on cost.

Maybe shenaniganz or someone else who has V6P knobs can give an idea of dimensions to get a more accurate estimate from the machinist.

Narftastic

Reaction score
Since you know what fabricating one of these entails, maybe have that convo with your buddy and give him the rundown of what it would take. How much experience does he have? If he knows what he’s doing, he should be able to come up with an honest estimate for a pair of knobs. The type of machinery he uses has a big impact on cost.

Maybe shenaniganz or someone else who has V6P knobs can give an idea of dimensions to get a more accurate estimate from the machinist.

+1

Also I think he would need to make 1 and maybe you test fit it in your car to make sure it fits good and works rite before making anymore.

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
I was thinking no more than 50 bucks for the pair.
I know there is at least 10 people that was interested before, but that was a month or two ago.

White6GAV6

Reaction score
I was just wondering about these actually. Depending on which ones are made and how the fit and work I'd be interested in them.

Ljbot

Reaction score
www dot okwenclosures dot com/products/okw/tuning-knobs.htm
I think I found the knobs. Just gotta find a place to customize them to fit our car :]

I haven't been registered for 7 days, so I can't post the actual link. Sorry!

cfox28

Reaction score
he would be using a vertical mill, the ideal machine would be a 5 axis cnc.
There are two things I could see being a pain:

one would be the ridges on the side that create a grip... since the bit is unable to
rotate and remove material with the tip of the bit, the mill would have to use a really
tiny bit to plunge vertical along the side of the knob.

The other would be the little light hole. While milling out the actual hole wouldn't be any
tougher than the rest of the job, the fill in would be a completely different process, and I
don't know what that would entail, probably me filling it with some kind of resin.

Are people attached to these properties of the knob?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Ah k. Does the vertical mill he's using run off software? I assume it would, doing all these manually would be a PITA and yield inconsistent models.

I've used both the mills you've mentioned, I can definitely see the difficulty of the textured edge around the diameter. And there's so many indentations...I don't see that happening tbh.

The black knobs in the OP just have a white tick mark for a pointer. I have the auto HVAC so at night I just look at the screen for fan speed and temp, so I personally don't need light in the knobs. And a white tick mark would suffice during the day for me.

Thinking these are both things that people would be willing to give up if it saves them money. If I was choosing one over the other, I'd rather have the grip than a lit indicator. But more for looks than anything.

Last edited:

Wid

Reaction score
I'm craving the look of metal knobs and a new double din setup. Something that makes the console look a little more modern. I'm 100% ready to pay whenever.

Back