Mission Impossible:Get to NA 150 WHP:Do you accept?

theaccordian

Reaction score
accordator said:
speaking of tranny, i thought dr.evil could fix the "bad tranny" problem?

when you say turbo an av6, does it mean turbo the j30a engine? if so, im swapping the engine anyways if one day i decide to choose the turbo route. either h22 or k20a

theaccordian,sorry to hijack your thread. btw, if i go with the setup like yours, would i be able to see at least 20hp gain?

thats what im hoping to see on my 4 banger I think your j30 responds better to mods. I dunno.

do you drive a v6 or i4?

accordator

Reaction score
v6 j30a engine

ps. turbo av6, i dont see why not. marr9188 from v6p is doing twin turbo

Last edited:

PiZauL

Reaction score
If you dont want to go through the hassle of making a turbo/twin turbo setup you can always go for the comptech supercharger, they make a kit for the J series engines.

Telri

Reaction score
accordator said:
ya dr.evil will be my next plan/upgrade if my tranny dies again. it died once at 128,000.

isnt the k20a faster than h22? how come i never seen a k20a swap thread?

i cant wait to see his dyno result :)

They were talking about K20 swaps on one of the forums I was reading, the reason that there aren't really any threads about K20 swaps (of any variety) is that the engines themselves are running around 4000 - 5000. Primarily ,the K20 isn't done because the extraordinary cost vs. performance. No one questions that the K series is superior, but most advise not doing it yet.

Or so I read... You can get info at http://www.k20a.org.

theaccordian

Reaction score
Also if you were gonna swap k24 would be the best setup. K20a has torque desgined to move a 2700 pound car not a 3,000 lbs behemoth. K24's have enoguh torque to move even heavier cars like new accords and tsx's and such.

theaccordian

Reaction score
update:

Planning on throwing her on the dyno on Monday. The shop I'm going to uses a Dynapack which supposedly measures power at the hubs. Also I wanna see if there's any room for improvement that would justify a VAFC tune. If the numbers come out low,I'm not gonna put that much weight into it, cause my car is faster now, no doubt about it and thats all that matters.

theaccordian

Reaction score
all right guys the moment of truth and the numbers are:

154whp 158 lb/tq!!!!

haha...yeah right... I wish :mad: ...here are the actual numbers:

scan0003.jpg

as you may imagine I was ****ing livid after I found out my numbers were lower than stock. Especially on a dynapack which supposedly reads higher than dyno jets. Without a doubt in my mind or other people's minds who have rode in my car, my car IS FASTER NOW AND I GAINED POWER after these mods. I kept telling myself, the guy didnt know what the hell he was doing or the dyno machine was off. But after my drive home work it gave me time to calm down and rationalize. These are the reasons I believe the numbers came out as low as it did.

1) I didnt have a stock baseline to compare it to. I undoubtedly got gains from these mods. I certainly didn't lose power over stock.This means one thing WE SEVERELY OVERESTIMATED WHAT MY STOCK WHP WOULD BE. Lets do the math: My car came stock with 148 bhp. In the real world our slushbox probably results in around a 30% drivetrain loss (30% is probably generous) 30% of 148 is 42. 148-42= 106 whp. When I said in the beginning that my stock whp is 125 I was wrong... dead wrong.

2) it was 93 degrees and 45% humidity in the shop.

3) I knew I wasnt gonna hit 150 with just these mods going into it. I listed prted tb/im and afc tune at the begininng. These mods would probably account for anywehre between 5- 10 additional hp.

4) Autos are way more difficult to dyno correctly than manuals. The guy had to ease into it because when ever he pushed it to hard it would downshift into second.

5) The guy didnt know how to dyno an auto correctly.Im no dyno expert but I could tell something was wrong, throughout the dyno the guy kept tweaking with settings such as gear ratio and redline. He asked me where it redlines and I said 6250 rpm. But if you look at the graph it goes all the way too 6400 for some reason.

6) My car never hit red line even once. I was expecting to hear it bounce off the redline and him shut it off, like every other dyno i've seen. He said he never hit redline in 3rd because he hit some sort of speed governor that wouldnt let him go past 92 mph. If I remeber correctly 3rd gear in autos goes past 100 mph. This probably explains why the hp line is still rising and never dips. But then again if he was able to get to redline itd probably add somthing like 5 hp nothing big.

By the way these are not excuses, there reasons I thought of why the number turned out like they did.

Im more dissapointed now than pissed. But I think of it this way, dynos are for tuning and seeing gains but people use it for bragging rights. My car is more poweful and faster, thats all tha matters, who gives a **** what the dyno says. Real power is measured at the track not on the dyno.

Ive said my piece, what are your guys thoughts...discuss....

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
**** dynos, they don't prove that dee-kals don't give HPs...LMAO
dude i would try again on another dyno, or at least bitch and try to have them do it again, you're the whole reason i'm keeping this car.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
wow.... i guess i foresee a manny swap next year? i would have suggested trying it in second(which is what i was told to do on my first dyno). it would have not have been as close to a 1:1 gear ratio, but it would have been easier to do.

Oh well, you tried it and thats all u can say. Congrats on the project gettin Completed and have fun with it.

theaccordian

Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
**** dynos, they don't prove that dee-kals don't give HPs...LMAO
dude i would try again on another dyno, or at least bitch and try to have them do it again, you're the whole reason i'm keeping this car.

does this mean your gonna drive it off a cliff now? haha jk. I wont let you down man. Like I said my car IS FASTER despite what the dyno says, if thats any consoltation to you. Apparently their dyno is brand new, maybe they still have some kinks to work out.

Back