Moneypit: A Dyno Casualty

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this bro, I hope you bounce back from this! The things that went wrong with your build should be taken into account for every other builder to be careful when tuning.. It's a tough science and an art. Good luck man, definitely hope to see it on the streets again soon. Your car is one of my favorites as well.

akoutmos

Reaction score
That really sucks. a $100 injector causes hundreds in damage. You might just need a break from the build. Your car is one of the sexiest accords around that's for sure.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words and support. I haven't even looked at the car since I got home Saturday evening, I just pulled it into the garage and locked it up.

I don't think the cylinder is hurt that bad based on the lack of symptoms the car currently has. I'm hoping to crack it open and see that I just need a new RL piston or ringset and I'm golden. Before I do, I need to investigate my fuel system to find the cause of the problem in the first place. I'll be sending my injectors and fuel pump to RC for flow testing once I have time to break this thing down, which will be a few months :(

SykVSyx

Reaction score
MP......quite a few setbacks, Sir.

Maybe time to step back for a bit, and come at it again later on.

Would hate to not see a clean pull done, but understandable, you have to handle your priorities.

Hope it all works out, whatever you decide to do.

MoneyPit

Reaction score
More than I would want, but not more than I can handle.

I'm seriously considering pulling the boost off, selling it, and running an NA J35 with CL-S pistons and heads. Should net me just under 300whp with a tune, without the headache of reliability issues.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
More than I would want, but not more than I can handle.

I'm seriously considering pulling the boost off, selling it, and running an NA J35 with CL-S pistons and heads. Should net me just under 300whp with a tune, without the headache of reliability issues.

Sorry to hear about this MoneyPit, it is ALL worth it in the end for sure, but it sure is a struggle, daunting, and frustrating path. I know exactly how you feel going through 4-5 blocks just to get where I am, stuck again. I don't blame you for debating on selling it either, i've thought the same thing countless times, including now.

I wish the best for you tearing it apart, repairing it, and fixing the root of the problem prior to trying again. Maybe just take a bit off of working on it to return to your project with a fresh mind.

-Devin

MoneyPit

Reaction score
Thanks dude.

I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be just as simple as a fried ringset in the hurt cylinder. One full run was made after the exhaust was seen at the PCV, so we hopefully avoided more cato damage.

Once I get the front head pulled off, I'll know more. Fingers crossed.

1slosedan

Reaction score
Good luck with what ever route you decide. It happens to the best of them, and you never know what may come of this. Some great cars have been built because of a previous failure and a great opportunity.

Back