Newbie performance tuning

Devil-V

Reaction score
I finally got a nicely well paid job, so I can finally start spending money on my car. This will be my first venture into doing car modifications related to increasing performance.

Where's a good and relatively inexpensive place to start for increasing acceleration power, and handling? (Everything about my car is stock, apart from the grounding kit which I upgraded to copper a while back).

Not looking for any mad gains, or spending anything more than £500 (probs works out about US$700-$800). I've been hearing stuff about K&N air filters and cold air-intakes combined with a muffler change, but I'm somewhat sceptical about their claims about the increase in HP.

LeAccord

Reaction score
ebay intake and replace the crappy pod filter with a k&n filter. You will not feel much power gains and there will be hardly any hp gains but you will hear vtec engage !!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
You could get coilovers or a spring/strut combo. Then a rear sway bar and strut tower bar. Then out of no where the car will handle like a dream :thumbup:

Devil-V

Reaction score
You could get coilovers or a spring/strut combo. Then a rear sway bar and strut tower bar. Then out of no where the car will handle like a dream :thumbup:

Any particular brands that work pretty well with the I4 coupe? I don't wanna grab any random ebay sets :)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
All reviews for stuff like that are in the suspension review thread.

Other than that, they work the same be it for the i4 or v6, sedan or coupe.

As far as coilsovers go, function and form type 1's are the most widely used, they can be purchased for $600 shipped from NASOHC. (click for the thread)

For spring/strut, it really depends on what you're looking for. The choices are infinite. Personally, I'm doing Tokico HP's with Tein S-Techs, this should give a ride similar in comfort to stock, with an increased cornering ability and an overall solid drop.

Pair that with a 17-24mm rear sway bar and any strut tower bar.

Again everything and what they do, as well as cost, is in the suspension review thread.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I have a Megan Racing strut bar and an eibach 23mm rsb .. I also have FF coilovers so my car handles quite well :D I just noticed that eibach has a freakin 29mm rsb for our car ?!?!?! WTF :ohsnap:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the progress 24mm was the biggest. If there's a 29 I'm all over that!

Back