Passenger side door on coupe will not open

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Something is messed up in the latch, you need to get the whole panel off.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Is there any way I can get the panel off with the door closed? Without cutting haha

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Well, it's a PITA, and I've only had to do it a couple times.

one way is to remove the outside window seal and slim-jim the car. It's best to remove the d/s interior panel so you can see how the latch functions, and you can bend up a coat hanger to the shape you will need (keep in mind it will be backwards from side-to-side) to get the door open. Worked for me on a civic.

the other way is to remove the inside panel. remove the passenger seat, or at least unbolt it to tip it out of the way. remove the panel screws, and pry the **** out of it with some plastic tools. You may need to remove the glovebox to get the end of the dash panel pried out, the accord sedan has a plastic rivet hidden up there somewhere. worked for me on a stanza or sentra, some old nissan.

I'd try #1 first.

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Thanks for the info man. Gonna try attempt this ASAP and report back with what I find

h0p3l355dork

Reaction score
Okay, maybe we jinxed it... lock bar was in place, and clamped on by that little plastic clip. Still no luck with opening the door. Removed the whole thing again and snapped the two pics below before heading into work today in the hopes that they might be able to help someone with the diagnosis.

Also, that thin metal bar seems like it has a lot of play. Not sure if this is normal or not?

D2058D79-2DC1-405E-80B9-1414767E8CD2-3018-000001BDD1C9C14E_zps639c99a9.jpg

2980A3F8-6627-4935-B861-B0496450DCBD-3018-000001BDDA5C8C6D_zps47b7273b.jpg

Did you try pulling on that thin metal bar? Not sure how you would be able to remove the whole door panel while the door is closed, isn't it sandwiched in between the console and all around the bottom? good luck!

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Did you try pulling on that thin metal bar? Not sure how you would be able to remove the whole door panel while the door is closed, isn't it sandwiched in between the console and all around the bottom? good luck!
Yep, tried pulling on it from a few different angles and that didn't work.

Just got back from a trip to Maryland over the weekend, so I didn't have any time to try any of the methods xci suggested. This seems like it will be a slow week for me so hopefully I will find time this weekend

ChrisPuh_Gone

Reaction score
Okay! After over a month of procrastination, distraction, and a crap-load of problems outside of the 6GA scene, I finally found the time to try xci.ed6's second method of removing the door panel;
the other way is to remove the inside panel. remove the passenger seat, or at least unbolt it to tip it out of the way. remove the panel screws, and pry the **** out of it with some plastic tools. You may need to remove the glovebox to get the end of the dash panel pried out, the accord sedan has a plastic rivet hidden up there somewhere. worked for me on a stanza or sentra, some old nissan.
...and it worked! Now I'm in a jam (no pun intended) :jae:

It seems as though the door lock actuator itself is the issue.. it's jammed shut. Now, I'm no master mechanic, but this doesn't really seem like too tough of a part to replace. I ordered one, and it should be here by the end of the week. My only issue here is getting to the actuator. It seems to be basically tucked away from any tool's reach behind the metal skeleton of the door, shown here (FYI: I used a pic of a 5th gen since it was the best example I could find)
hqdefault.jpg

So how can I get to this part? I'm trying to avoid taking it to a shop at all costs to avoid paying someone for a job I can do and having my only car off the road.

Last edited:
Back