Power Steering Pressure Hose Removal

Reaction score
All,

I have a 2001 Honda Accord 2.3L 4 cylinder, and I'm having trouble removing the high pressure hose between the power steering pump and the rack. I can barely find any videos about it for my vehicle. Its been leaking very bad and it needs to be replaced. I just cannot remove the end of the hose at the rack to save my life. Do I need to drop the rack to get it out? Anyone with similar experiences? Added a photo for reference.

upload_2021-9-26_22-58-35.png

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have an issue removing the nut on the line. I cannot physically get the hose out at the rack. I need to get behind it, but there's no room. i guess I need to drop the rack a bit for some clearance.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
If your having trouble fishing it out, you could always loosen both rear subframe bolts and the brackets. This should drop the frame given you more room. Jack the subframe back up and make sure hand start the subframe bolts before tightening. Dont just drive them in with a impact, you could cross threaded. Its been awhile since ive replaced a 6th gen, but have used this on numerous acuras/hondas.

Reaction score
If your having trouble fishing it out, you could always loosen both rear subframe bolts and the brackets. This should drop the frame given you more room. Jack the subframe back up and make sure hand start the subframe bolts before tightening. Dont just drive them in with a impact, you could cross threaded. Its been awhile since ive replaced a 6th gen, but have used this on numerous acuras/hondas.

Boom! This is the answer I've been looking for! I just thought how ridiculous it is to drop the rack. I noticed there is a frame there, just wondering how to get it off. Do you happen to have any pictures on locations of bolts for the subframe? Thank you so much!!

joboy77

Reaction score
I replaced this line earlier this year. It was a huge pain in the ass. You can get it out and put a new one in without dropping the rack or the subframe. You you just have to fish it around until it goes to the right spot. If you can get more room by loosening up the subframe bolts I'd say do it. Again this hose was a huge pain. Took me a day and a half when it should have been a 2-3 hour job.

Reaction score
I replaced this line earlier this year. It was a huge pain in the ass. You can get it out and put a new one in without dropping the rack or the subframe. You you just have to fish it around until it goes to the right spot. If you can get more room by loosening up the subframe bolts I'd say do it. Again this hose was a huge pain. Took me a day and a half when it should have been a 2-3 hour job.

I lost my patience when I was trying to fish it out. I only jacked up the car on driver's side. I need to lift the whole car up and take a good look. It was just very frustrating. Very narrow channel that high pressure hose goes through these. I cannot pull the damn thing out so i just put everything back together. I am going to try again this weekend...start in the morning for more time.

What steps did you take to install it? Rack side first then fish everything else back up? Thanks.

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Boom! This is the answer I've been looking for! I just thought how ridiculous it is to drop the rack. I noticed there is a frame there, just wondering how to get it off. Do you happen to have any pictures on locations of bolts for the subframe? Thank you so much!!
No pictures, but it easy to see under the car. There should be 2- 19 or 21mm bolts one on each corner of the rear portion of the subframe. Going off memory these bolts have brackets that the bolt passes thru before going into the subframe. The brackets will have 2 or 3 bolts each usually 12 or 14mm, along with the main bolt for the subframe. Remove all the smaller bolts and loosen the main large bolt evenly on both sides. You could pull them all the way out if need be, just use a jack to raise the rear subframe portion back up and hand start the bolts before tightening down. It will still be tight but easier to remove like this.

Last edited:
Back