Quad Retros - 8/20/2012

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How come the high beam ballasts are going to die fast?

Any ballast will die quickly from constantly being turned on and off, can't exactly explain why but its just bad because of the amount of power that flows into the ballasts every time you flick it on.. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I can, lol.

Kinda that. Basically, firing the ignitors on/off like that shortens the life of the ballasts. Also, you will want to avoid flashing your highs at people for the same reason. And also because the highs won't fire up fast enough for the other drive to see them anyway. I had to train myself to stop flashing people lol, I only do it if my lows are already on.

I don't hate the eyelids, I had a pair once and enjoyed them. Just there is a lot going on with your retro and I think they'd look cleaner without them. But that's just me.

Yeah get a photo or two of the projector lens being purple...that's so awesome.

Last edited:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Looks really good. Definitely want to see some cutoff pics.
Kinda that. Firing the ignitors on/off like that shortens the life of the ballasts.
As long as she doesn't flip them on an off like in the video she should be fine. I mean how often do you really use the high beams once you get HID projector low beams anyway?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Actually I use mine a good deal. But that's probably because I need to aim my projectors upward more, lol. It's also because I'm old and can't see as well at night anymore. :lawl:

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score
I like the eyelids. Amber strip looks nice, but I think i'd prefer clear strip and amber corner strip :)

Any ballast will die quickly from constantly being turned on and off, can't exactly explain why but its just bad because of the amount of power that flows into the ballasts every time you flick it on.. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I can, lol.
Ahhhh, I see, I believe I only flickered it that much on the video, regular driving, I don't use it as much unless some dumba$$ decides to cut into my lane and drive 50 km slower than my speed on the highway.

Retro looks great, Judy.

Glad you and Frank have been able to get this up and running and working with no problems.

Now I know mine will work just fine as well! :lawl:

Hopefully we won't have the foglight situation, though!
Thanks Derek! It's finally done hehe, failure was not an option lol.
I like the fog light flickering off when high beam is on, LOL! That was accidental, I don't know why that happens lol

Kinda that. Basically, firing the ignitors on/off like that shortens the life of the ballasts. Also, you will want to avoid flashing your highs at people for the same reason. And also because the highs won't fire up fast enough for the other drive to see them anyway. I had to train myself to stop flashing people lol, I only do it if my lows are already on.

I don't hate the eyelids, I had a pair once and enjoyed them. Just there is a lot going on with your retro and I think they'd look cleaner without them. But that's just me.

Yeah get a photo or two of the projector lens being purple...that's so awesome.
Lol, I only use my high beams when people decide to do something stupid around me on the highway.
Locally, I'll honk the crap out of them if they decide to pop out of nowhere.

Looks really good. Definitely want to see some cutoff pics.

As long as she doesn't flip them on an off like in the video she should be fine. I mean how often do you really use the high beams once you get HID projector low beams anyway?

^Actually I use mine a good deal. But that's probably because I need to aim my projectors upward more, lol. It's also because I'm old and can't see as well at night anymore. :lawl:

I only use that projector for high beams, I disconnected my low beams =)

Back