Random engine shutdowns while driving

njmodi

Reaction score
Ok - so here's the deal.

Background: 02 4cyl 5speed EX Sedan - 125k on body/70k on motor.

I'll be driving, usually slowing while taking a turn or slowing to go over railroad tracks or come to a stop at a light and on 4 separate occasions over the past week, the car just dies like someone flipped a switch.... the dash indicators for battery, brake etc. light up... i can press the clutch and turn the key and the car cranks and starts right up (even while still rolling)...

No CEL, no other driveability issues - plenty of power - no hesitation at any speed - idle seems stable.

Note that when this happens, it does not feel like the car stalling (like someone forgetting to press the clutch in while coming to a stop) - it's just a complete shutdown.

Thoughts?

njmodi

Reaction score
I thought of ignition switch - I haven't opened up the column to look at the contacts... i though the ignition switch recall issues were on the 99's - is this is a common problem on the 6th Gens?

njmodi

Reaction score
Also - what I've read about the ignition switch issue is that when that happens the dash indicators all stay off - however in my case, all the lights come on - can any comment on that? i.e. is what i read about the ignition switch failure/dash lights correct?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i dunno my car has that problem too... it started to happen after i put in a ground wire kit... i thought it was a bad ground because sometimes when i turn the key to acc with out starting it, all the dash lights dont turn on but the car starts perfectly fine and when i drive, it would just cut off on me. i dunno my self... this is something ive been battling for months and its not the ignition switch, i already checked it

njmodi

Reaction score
I'm thinking my problem is the idle air control valve (IACV)... the car hasn't stalled since I posted - but when I think back about the stalling - it never happens at speed - it has always happened when I was either at a light (usually with clutch in), or taking a turn and in between gears or whatever... basically at low speeds - with no throttle - when I would expect the IACV to be regulating the air flow to keep the engine running...

Is that a fair assumption? i.e. that when i'm applying no throttle, the IACV is providing the necessary air flow?

tnguyen600

Reaction score
the exact same thing happened to my car. except mine is an automatic. wtf.

mine happened while i was at a light and another time when i was driving, maybe 25mph?

ugh. sti here i come

nyknick1015

Reaction score
mines happens at any random time... once when i was on the highway doin 80, another time when i was just puling out of my parking spot... i am curious to find out what it is to stop it asap

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
Ok, my car just shutdown as I pulled up to a light today. No warning, no CEL, it just bogged and died. It didn't start up right away. Took a few cranks, nothing. It started after about 15-30 seconds of letting it be.

It's been doing this every now and again on hot days but today was barely in the 80's if not cooler. The car was fully warmed and had been being driven for about 10-15 minutes, then BAM. Im stumped.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i kno if it bogs down like that and doesnt start up rite away it can be the main relay/fuel pump relay (same thing)

Back