Random engine shutdowns while driving

nyknick1015

Reaction score
ok so i found out the problem... im an idiot.. i wasnt playing around with the ignition switch... i was playing around with what i thought it was... (yea im kinda slow)

IT IS THE IGNITION SWITCH... THE ONLY WAY TO FIX IT IS TO GO TO THE HONDA DEALERSHIP.... yea so u gotta go 2 the dealership and have them replace it because you cant replace it your self because of the ignition immobilizer. They recalled the switch a couple years ago so you gotta go 2 the dealership to do it. They will do it for free if it has never been done before. I dropped my car of 2day 2 get it done FREE OF CHARGE because it was recalled...

so there is your answer... i am getting my car back 2morrow. They told me they have to replace the switch, wiring and change some stuff for the immobilizer in the ecu...

njmodi

Reaction score
The ignition switch recall is for the 99 model year. Is that what you (nyknick) have?

You can definitely replace the electrical side of the ignition switch yourself - but if there is a recall for your model year - I would just go to the dealer.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
The ignition switch recall is for the 99 model year. Is that what you (nyknick) have?

You can definitely replace the electrical side of the ignition switch yourself - but if there is a recall for your model year - I would just go to the dealer.

from what the lady told me is the 98-00 model sedans... but the Honda website says 99 accord so i dunno. I have a 99 sedan. i say call ur nearest dealer and see whats up but they will do it for free. And im not trying to mess with it really because if i do, it Voids the warranty or the recall warranty at least. They don't do it for after market ignition keys. and plus do something wrong and the immobilizer wont let me turn on my car ever again so ima stick with them...

njmodi

Reaction score
Your problem is defi ignition switch - since in an earlier post you said the lights all just turn off etc - in my case the lights all stay on... i could have told you that - but i never caught that the first time i read your posts :)

Glad your problem will be fixed.

tnguyen600

Reaction score
didnt njmodi say that if the car shuts down and the lights dont all turn off, then it isn't the ignition switch? he said thats what he read but he's not sure. I had my switch already done a year or so ago. Should i go back again? My car keeps stalling and sometimes when i shut it off, i cant turn it back on right away.

Would fixing the iginition switch help with the random stalling?

njmodi

Reaction score
didnt njmodi say that if the car shuts down and the lights dont all turn off, then it isn't the ignition switch? he said thats what he read but he's not sure. I had my switch already done a year or so ago. Should i go back again? My car keeps stalling and sometimes when i shut it off, i cant turn it back on right away.

Would fixing the iginition switch help with the random stalling?

Did the problem go away the first time you replaced the ignition switch? I think your problem is likely the ignitor...

Yes - if the lights on the dash turn off/stay of when the car stalls - then it's not the ignition switch... if the RPM drops like a rock to zero - then it's like the ignitor (or less likely: ignition coil).

tnguyen600

Reaction score
i never had this problem before...only until a week ago did this happen (engine shuts down while driving and not being able to start up right away) When my car shuts off, the lights come on.

my rpms and everything drop. By any chance would the ignition switch be covered under the warrenty?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i never had this problem before...only until a week ago did this happen (engine shuts down while driving and not being able to start up right away) When my car shuts off, the lights come on.

my rpms and everything drop. By any chance would the ignition switch be covered under the warrenty?

no this problem i kno is the mail relay... ur fuel pump relay is failing. ive had that problem in all 3 accords of mines... shuts off and then cranks but doesnt start up right away... thats fuel pump... but the ignition switch is covered under recall warranty which doesnt expire... u can get it fixed at any dealership

tnguyen600

Reaction score
my friend works at honda. I just came from there. Turns out, it may be my immobilizer. Usually, when you put the key it, the key icon flashes a couple times then turns off. However with my car...it continously flashes. My buddy plugged in the HDS to see whats going on...something on the immobilizer wire harness is fcuked up. I duno. The car wont start anymore. ugh

The immobilizer explains why the car shut off while i was driving (cuts fuel) and why it wouldnt start up right away...it was deteriorating(sp) or losing its program. Hes gonna look at it tomorrow after he's off his shift, but i really hope the fix is simply and not to the point where we have to look for every single wire or a wire shorted out something important aka ecu. FCUK

NASOHC

Reaction score
Check Ignition Switch (recalled on Accords) and also have IAC Valve checked. Not much else really.

Back