Resetting your ECU: After mods and Environment changes.

codeblack

Reaction score
Resetting your ECU. Your ECU is your cars brain. It tells your engine what to do and how to do it based on tons of readings it recieves along with how much throttle is being applied and so on.

After you perform any modification to your car. You should reset your ecu so it can clear its memory and re-learn and adapt to the new parts. Instead of having it try to optimize in with its old parts. Its best to reset and let it learn from the new setup....instead of trying to get it to forget the old.

It can be easily done by unplugging the negative battery cable connection. If I remember correctly my chilton manual says 30 seconds. I still try to leave it off as long as possible. Into the night and possibly next morning if you can.

Then you connect the cable back on. Then start the car outside , let it run till its full warm. Normally 5-10minutes during the summer. Some wait till they hear the fan kick on....but you really just need to see the temp gauge at its normal operation position. Do not touch the gas pedal. Then once warmed.

Shut off and use when you are ready.

Also some like to take the car out and run it hard around 3times. Basically 1st through 3rd like you are racing. Of course this sounds kinda weird , I dont know if to believe this. But it cant hurt and it sounds logical , so it doesnt get some weak run and try to learn from that , you immediatly feed it some hard runs to set it self to and you should be good.

You also have to reset it for every mod. I also do it for every season change. This also lets your car adjust to the environment , different humidites and oxygen levels and densities. All are different variables that can effect your cars performance. So to take full advantage , you again want your car to learn and base its settings off a smaller period of time. So resetting it in lets say winter, its like its whole life was driven in the winter , and so on and so forth. Instead of having it try to adapt from its summer time conditions over to the winter...its best to just start fresh.

-- NOTE , do not try resetting your ecu when you have any sort of fuel additives or things in your car that you wouldnt normally have. So fuel cleaners , higher octane fuel , different fuel than you normally run...dont try this then.

-- NOTE , easiet way to clean out the ecu is to disconnect the cables from the battery and hold them together for 15 seconds. This will clear out all the diodes in the ecu and all stored codes or information will be lost.

- mike_sho superhonda

Last edited:

6genaccord

Reaction score
if I did a mod... like i/h/e and have been running for a couple months without a reset will i still benefit from the reset? or did i already screw myself?

rustyxsurfx08

Reaction score
awesome i just ordered my cai so now i know to do this. unfortunately i didnt do it with my exhaust..:bash:

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Wait, I was gonna seafoam, change dist cap & rotor, pcv valve, oil change, filter cleaning, and TB cleaning. You're saying after all this stuff I shouldn't reset the ECU? Instead wait for my gas tank to clear up and reset it after refilling the tank?

This is all for maintenance but mainly to improve gas mileage.

codeblack

Reaction score
Do you run those all the time , no. So you wouldnt want your car tuned on a fuel mixture that isnt going to be used.

Last edited:

codeblack

Reaction score
something extra you can do, when u disconnect the battery go in your car and hold the brake light for 10 secs this will discharge what remaning power u got in your systems so u are sure there is no power and memory is lost

hendizzlez

Reaction score
i think i read somewhere that you can take out the clock fuse on the passenger side fuse box and it'll reset too, i think :thinking:

codeblack

Reaction score
the back up fuse? the best way to clean out the ecu is to disconnect the cables from the battery and hold them together for 15 seconds. This will clear out all the diodes in the ecu and all stored codes or information will be lost. remember to run the car 3 times like your racing, so the car will be running at its best.

Back