Roll Cage

krylonking104

Reaction score
So ive decided that after my custom fiberglass sub enclosure that i need a new project...

I've been kicking around the idea of designing and fabricating a roll cage for the coupe. Ive formed a primitive design similar to an "autopower" design, however i dont know if it will work or not. I realize that the mounting locations are critical in that if the car is already designed to absorb energy and crush in certain spots in the event of a crash. Does any one have any experience in this area?

I plan on mounting the cage in three places on each side of the vehicle, one near the rear strut towers, one behind the back of the seats on the floor, and also on the floor near the front of the front doors.

The autopower one that im basing my designs off of are on ioportracing.com

take a look and if anyone has any insight, tips, and useful knowledge def hit me up!!

finch13

Reaction score
I'd either buy one or have someone who knows what they're doing make it. If it's for safety, a lot more factors come into play.

How are you're welding skills and how are you doing it? MIG? TIG? How much penetration? etc.

krylonking104

Reaction score
well, there really is no TRUE need for this rollcage.... however i figure it would be a good engineering project.

Idk if it would be slightly rice being that my car doesnt really make ridiculous amounts of power, and i do not race.

but any how.....

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
if you are like...an engineering student....some schools have projects that are along these lines....i know at our local autox some students came with a custom made open wheel car that all the students got to drive...

nyknick1015

Reaction score
find some1 who needs it and offer them the service. you can test it out. Make sure you let them knowthat you are just doing it for a project and might not hold up in a real crash tho

nyknick1015

Reaction score
yea i think u should do it anyway... its experience for other things down the line... so why not

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
A roll cage for what? Its kinda pointless for a normal car. Your really going to let people watch you climb in and out of your car? I think it would be embarrassing, unless you were a drag accord.

Last edited:
Back