RPM's go to 0 when coming to a stop

SilverAggie

Reaction score
So yesterday I was driving and noticed that while coming to a stop my RPM's dipped down to zero. I have an 1999 EX V6 autotragic at the moment but only in the mornings. I went about my day and later that night I noticed it again on the way home. It only happens when I am coming to a stop or at a complete stop... but the weirdest thing is, the car stays ON. WTF??? any ideas about my current dilemma. Any help is greatly appreciated!

whitegourd

Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem I had. RPM dips to zero even when the engine is fine. Problem was a bad ground that I had on my headunit. Maybe have the alternator checked out if your grounds are good.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
my car dips to about 500rpm, then you can feel it shift into first and THEN it idles right. not sure if its the same issue...

it basically feels like its stalling till i feel the little kick from the transmission.

SilverAggie

Reaction score
Sounds like the same problem I had. RPM dips to zero even when the engine is fine. Problem was a bad ground that I had on my headunit. Maybe have the alternator checked out if your grounds are good.

Really don't feel like taking out the AVIC and since I installed it like 5 months ago and haven't had any problems until now, I doubt it's a bad ground. I'll get around to checking that

Alternator check sounds like a good idea... hoping it's not though since the car doesn't try to die at all. It's so weird it runs perfectly fine. RPM's dippin just kinda bugs and makes you wonder you know.

Thanks for the suggestions

my car dips to about 500rpm, then you can feel it shift into first and THEN it idles right. not sure if its the same issue...

it basically feels like its stalling till i feel the little kick from the transmission.

Yeah my issue is kinda different cause the car stays in gear the whole time.

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm betting the IACV or throttle adjustment...mine would do this sometimes (rpm dip) then jump back. Eventually I'd know when it was going to do it and tap the gas myself.

Drift

Reaction score
Does the engine stall when it does this?

Edit: Re-read OP, If the engine doesnt stall but the guage reads zero,there is probably something wrong with the cluster and/or its wiring. If the ECU saw a zero rpm reading, it would turn the injectors off, and the car really would stall. Its probably a just a loose wire or ground or something stupid like that.

Have you taken anything apart lately in the dash?

Last edited:

michaelp4283

Reaction score
I'm betting the IACV or throttle adjustment...mine would do this sometimes (rpm dip) then jump back. Eventually I'd know when it was going to do it and tap the gas myself.

+1 I have experienced this forever. I always thought our alternator wasn't putting out enough power. Its usually more likely to happen when AC is on, or even the stereo.

SilverAggie

Reaction score
Thanks guys... I got the alternator replaced cause the Autozone test had its highest reading at 84 and the lowest at 22. Drove home. Next morning driving out it does the dip again. I think its a lose connection even though I haven't been in my dash lately. There is no engine stall when this happens, the car keeps running as if nothing is wrong. I will follow up on these suggestions in the AM tomorrow. Thanks again for all the input.

Back