Something weird happening with ignition

pyaarawala

Reaction score
The first time I noticed this problem was Sept 1st. I just parked my car like I always do, and when I wanted to start it, it wouldn't start. So I took out the key, and tried again. It didn't work again. I noticed that when I turn the ignition twice, y'know when all the lights on the speedometer come on (CEL, Maint req'd, Oil, Battery, etc.) the CEL light was missing. All of the other lights came on but the CEL light was missing and the car wouldn't start. I played with my plug wires and tried to start it again and it didn't work. Eventually, when I turned the ignition key twice, the CEL light finally came back on along with all the other lights, and then it started. But when my car is started, the CEL went away as usual, and the car ran perfectly.

I changed my plugs and wires to the NGK Iridium set, hoping that might solve the problem. Once again today I parked and before I could start the car, I saw the CEL light came on and quickly turned off, leaving the rest of the lights on. Once again, it didn't start. I just kept turning the ignition key back and forth, waiting for the CEL light to come on. Eventually, it did, and it started. This time, it didn't go so smooth though. After starting, my car started shaking a lot and turned off, leaving my oil light on. I started it again (CEL light was on this time), and once again it shook a lot then turned off, leaving the oil light on again. Finally, I started it again and it started, and I immediately took the chance to rev my engine, trying to keep it start. That was successful and I was able to drive home easily.

I don't know what the problem is. This first happened like I said Sept 1, and yesterday I did an oil change (switched to synthetic for the first time), and I changed all my plugs and wires. Do you think I might need a new distributor cap? Or something might be wrong with my ignition? Sorry for the really long post but I know in order to get the best answer I need to provide as many significant details as possible. Thank you.

thejameshimself

Reaction score
i'd check your battery and alternator - sounds kinda like what mine was doing when my battery was going out

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I just replaced my battery a few months ago. I don't know about my alternator. How do I "test" these two? Do you think anything else may be causing the problem?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Anyone? I really need help on this it just happened to me today again except it took a good 20 minutes for the CEL light to come back on and I could start it.

accordc1

Reaction score
check ur starter. solenoids and brush's try tap ur starter next time with a wrench and then try crack it to see if it starts if it starts thats ur problem, Can you hear it ur starter cranking when u turn ur ignition if not try check it out.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
You're saying that if I tap my starter with a wrench it might make a difference? I'll keep that in mind and try it the next time my car won't start. I'm also going to try to disconnect both terminals on my battery for 5 minutes and try to see if that solves anything. One more thing, I read this Q & A that might have something to do with my problem:

Question
Hello, and thank you for taking your time to help people in need such as myself, well i have a question on my 1989 Honda accord lxi. When i go to turn the car on in the morning, the "check engine light" goes on and most of the time will go off instantly, but sometimes it stays on and the car won't start, what could be the problem? thanks, john in california.

Answer
John,
Thanks for the question.
That's not an easy question to answer. With your light coming on, it could be any number of problems, depending on the code that your computer has stored in it. One common problem is the TW sensor. This is the sensor that sits in the thermostat housing. They do go bad a lot and it measures the coolant temperature. If the sensor is thinking that the car is hot, it will not allow enough fuel to be injected into the cylinders. Thus not starting the car. The sensors are fairly cheap and easy to put in. I would try that first. I am sure it has seen better days.
Good luck,
Geno

I think that may be something, but I really don't know. The Honda Accord in this Q & A is also a really old Honda so I don't know if it's relevant to my 98 Honda.

accordc1

Reaction score
check ur battery it should be at 12.6 do u got a volt meter? If its not check the terminals any damage on it or corroded, fluid level in it with the hydrometer. When u hit the starter you are just kinda jump starting it, from the vibrations when u hit. My starter went bad so i switched it out, listen for the cranking noise when u turn the ignition on if your car isnt starting, if it doesnt make that sound your starter is going bad. Usually the solenoid and the brushs go bad in the starter.

accordc1

Reaction score
if i remember right i dont have my honda to look at because im in arizona for college my car is in hawaii, but i dont think our thermostat has a sensor in it.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I have a volt meter in my capacitor and it checks out fine, stays in the 12-14 range. Usually the 12.1-12.9 range. Nothing is corroded on my battery but I don't know about fluid levels. I have a warranty on my battery for 3 years so I guess I could take it back to Wal-Mart and they'll check if my battery is causing the problem.

accordc1

Reaction score
go for it if its free you minus well do it. I wouldnt have bought a walmart battery i trust die hard the most.

Back