Sound Deadener?

xx24xx

Reaction score
Did you prep the surface with Acetone first and apply with a heat gun and roller?

PacmanAV6

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am upgrading the whole sound system and looking into sound deadening materials. Looking up I found two types,

1. Dynamat ($135 for 36 sq.ft)
2. Fat mat - ($130 for 100 sq.ft)

Any opinions and how well the fat mat works? or any other suggestions?

The dyanamat extreme bulk pack will be enough to lay down for the trunk alone, wont be enough for the doors and the insides, any other suggestions?

http://www.americanthunderaudio.com/catalog.aspx
cheap as fuk. check it out

xx24xx

Reaction score
You can find Dynamat Extreme for cheaper than that. Ebay it...

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not that I'm using it for audio reasons since I have only the front door speakers. Mostly to keep road noise out and heat in. Since I removed all the stock tar and carpet from the floor boards and trunk. Not looking to spend a ton here.

Home Depot roofing stuff for us DIY'ers on the cheap? One of my friends used Dynamat (not sure what kind) on his miata and he said it really quieted things down. Found 50 sq. ft of the dynamat xtreme on ebay (with roller) for $90 shipped. Looks like enough to cover what I need. Good deal?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
dont bother with the roofing stuff.

seems like an ok price on the xtreme...

one layer on the trunk floor is short of 40 sq ft of raw (uncut) deadener...so thats an idea of coverage, although you don't need a solid layer. do the "tap test" and see what panels make noise or vibrate.

bliss_creator

Reaction score
The Dynamat xtreme pack is only 36 sq. ft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200385122546

So you will need more than one pack to cover the entire car....

As for the price on ebay that was the cheapest I could find, even if the pack is cheaper, shipping kills it.... $134.00 was the best.

The other site posted was 119.99 +24.99(shipping)

That is where i am stuck at. I have one extreme pack and I need more to cover the rest of the car and on the highway the noise is high even with the windows rolled up, sounds like wind blowing inside the car. :(, and looking at second skin with that butyl spray thingy I hope it may work out better.

Right now I am just trying to save up some money to finish this project up and then move onto the suspension and the wheels.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i think greg is looking to put some deadener (back) on the floor...

and it seems like both of you are trying to kill road noise. i believe the best product for that is SS's luxury liner since you need a barrier, not just a mass loader like dynamat. mass loaders prevent panel flex, reverberation, and vibration.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
never used that stuff...it should work ok for your purpose.

it comes down to thickness, stickyness, and materials. the cheaper it is (in general), the more it's lacking in at least 2 of those areas.

Back