Sound Deadener?

bliss_creator

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am upgrading the whole sound system and looking into sound deadening materials. Looking up I found two types,

1. Dynamat ($135 for 36 sq.ft)
2. Fat mat - ($130 for 100 sq.ft)

Any opinions and how well the fat mat works? or any other suggestions?

The dyanamat extreme bulk pack will be enough to lay down for the trunk alone, wont be enough for the doors and the insides, any other suggestions?

xx24xx

Reaction score
Do your homework... Fatmat, Dynamat Original, eDead etc all are asphalt based products. You need a heat gun to apply asphalt based products and they still come off your car panels after sitting in the sun. Do it right if you are gonna do it or don't do it at all.

You want a butyl backing. This adheres much better, withstands higher temperatures and adds mass correctly. The thicker the butyl backing...the more mass you add to your panels. Thus reducing vibration and so on. The thicker the aluminum shell, or barrier, the more it will keep out heat and reduce flex.

The thinner the dampener, the more layers you will have to add to have the same efficiency. In my experience it is cheaper to do it right with 1 thick layer and cheaper too. I think Damplifier Pro is the best. Dynamat Extreme is second...a little thinner (not audibly thinner) and a lot more messy. Stinger has some that's good and a few others I'd recommend. If you are looking for a noise barrier then plan on spending MORE money.

Last edited:

bliss_creator

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply guys, I am looking into the Damplifier from secondskinaudio.

This is the whole setup that's going into the car.

Pioneer DEH-P610BT

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/In-Dash/CD-Players/DEH-P610BT
x130P610BT-o_nite.jpeg

RE Audio XXX Series (Kick Panel)
Size: 6.5" component set (2 Ohm)
• 12dB/Octave Crossover Network
• High Grade Non-inductive Resistors
• Tweeter Attentuation Control
• 6.5" Midbass Driver
• Rubber Surround
• Foamed Core Poly Cone
• Cast Aluminum Basket
• FEA Optimized Motor Structure
• Split Coil Design
• High Linearity Nomex Spider
• Extreme Excursion
• 1" Silk Dome Tweeter
• Powerful Neodymium Motor
• Swiveling Flush Mount

xxx_comp_thmb.jpg

RE Audio 6.5C (door)

Size: 6.5" component set (4 Ohm)
• 12dB/Octave Crossover Network
• Tweeter Attentuation Control
• 6.5" Midbass Driver
• Rubber Surround
w/Mica Filled Poly Cone
• Pressed Steel Basket
• Nomex Spider
• FEA Optimized Motor Structure
• 1" Silk Dome Tweeter
• Powerful Neodymium Motor
• Swiveling Flush Mount
re_comp_thmb.jpg

Pioneer 4 Way 6x9 (Rear Deck)

Custom Ported box for 10" Rockford Fosgate Sub (may upgrade later to Focal 27A)
Rockford Fosgate Punch P3D410
10" Dual 4 ohms Punch Stage 3 Subwoofer

PPI PC4400.2 4 Channel Amp
outside1.jpg

Rockford Fosgate P300-1

jaron001

Reaction score
Do your homework... Fatmat, Dynamat Original, eDead etc all are asphalt based products. You need a heat gun to apply asphalt based products and they still come off your car panels after sitting in the sun. Do it right if you are gonna do it or don't do it at all.

You want a butyl backing. This adheres much better, withstands higher temperatures and adds mass correctly. The thicker the butyl backing...the more mass you add to your panels. Thus reducing vibration and so on. The thicker the aluminum shell, or barrier, the more it will keep out heat and reduce flex.

The thinner the dampener, the more layers you will have to add to have the same efficiency. In my experience it is cheaper to do it right with 1 thick layer and cheaper too. I think Damplifier Pro is the best. Dynamat Extreme is second...a little thinner (not audibly thinner) and a lot more messy. Stinger has some that's good and a few others I'd recommend. If you are looking for a noise barrier then plan on spending MORE money.

my fat mat has been on for about 2 years now and hasnt came back down

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
fat mat = generic...very thin
edead = cheap...very thin. doesn't seem to have a real foil backing, more like a foil-coated plastic
dynamat = ok. the extreme is preferred...dont bother with original
damplifier = thick, sticky, best performance for the price.

also check out don's site http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ it'll give you a new perspective on dampening.

btw...why are you going with 2 6.5" component sets? that XXX mid is going to suck to make a kick for. why not use the 6.5C set in the kicks, then try to squeeze an 8" mid into the door?

well if youre just going to use the stock passives i guess that wouldn't matter as much to you...

AccordFlex

Reaction score
Do not use fatmat or any similar sound deadening.

DynaMat is great stuff, but its like buying Mugen or Spoon parts, you can get other similar products with the same quality for cheaper.

My recommendation would be second skin damplifier pro. This stuff is simply amazing. I have been using it for a few years now since it came out. Ive tried almost every brand of sound deadening out there and this is by far my favorite. It is a little pricey, but not as much as dyna mat, but its a great product.

If you want to go a little cheaper, look into raammat http://www.raamaudio.com/

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm

lashlee

Reaction score
I've used raammat in the car and truck as well as many different products in the car. I can say it's great stuff, but I have heard many good things about secondskin stuff. I'll try some out on the next go around or big install that I do. It's a big help but I would make sure that you put it in the right places to get the most effectiveness.

Back