Strange rattling noise

stanleybb50

Reaction score
thats the one i was going to get to replace my old dead cat. but i ended up replacing it sooner than i had thought, and got one from napa for cheaper than that. i know with the napa one i got i had to get the gaskets that came with it too, since they werent like the oem ones. but it works fine.

Nice. Thanks. That's good to know. I have a NAPA right down the road from my place... I'll prally just run in there and snag one and the gaskets. This is good s**t if it's something I can do myself with no welding.

Also noticed the past couple days my car lost a little "pep" - then yesterday the CEL came on, and then today I got the awful rattle... haha seems like a normal progression to me!

Thanks again for the help.

Also, hope all is well on the site... Haven't been on here for awhile to "bother" you guys with my job and classes and workin on the house...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i forgot to mention youll need 6 bolts and nuts as well, since the oem way has the bolts pressed into the cats flange, then nuts that secure it to the rest of the exhaust on both ends. i also used 2 lock washers per bolt, just for extra insurance, haha.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
my car has killed 2 oem cats :jae: ... i say gut it and do the defouler trick or get a hi-flow cat like one from random technology

stanleybb50

Reaction score
So if I get the high flow cat, I won't have to worry about doing the defouler trick? Cause I don't think I'm 100% comfortable with doin that even though I've read that it works... (and, hell, that would be the cheapest route!)

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=RTECSHFCNV01&c=PE&b=Random Technology

On this website the high-flow cat really doesn't cost any extra...

Anyone else heard of this cat/have used one before?

stanleybb50

Reaction score
According to Summit/Fedex, my CAT should be there when I get home today... But i just realized I have a question....

Am I going to need one of those special O2 sensor wrenches or whatever to get that O2 sensor off/put back on?

And... Is there a flange in the front and back? Or is there a clamp in the back/flange in the front? I don't think the Magnaflow CAT comes with the gaskets and all that crap... Sorry, feel like a noob here, but I just wanna pick up the right things on the way home...

Last edited:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Summit/Fedex, my CAT should be there when I get home today... But i just realized I have a question....

Am I going to need one of those special O2 sensor wrenches or whatever to get that O2 sensor off/put back on?

And... Is there a flange in the front and back? Or is there a clamp in the back/flange in the front? I don't think the Magnaflow CAT comes with the gaskets and all that crap... Sorry, feel like a noob here, but I just wanna pick up the right things on the way home...

most likely. its a hex tool. kinda big lol. :thumbup:

stanleybb50

Reaction score
Holy hell... ya'll make it sound so easy.... haha

got the cat in the mail, then it took me awhile to run to advance and get the one gasket they actually had.... then try to find the right bolts before getting home... and of course the ones i bought are too big...

then i jack er up and crawl under there only to see that these bolts are so da*n fuzed that i can't even begin to dream about using a socket or open/closed end wrench.... I even took a dremel to the bolts and it took about 5 minutes of grinding to only get like through part of ONE of the bolts and it still won't dream of budging.... WTF... lol

Right now I'm wishing i was just paying someone to change it!!!! good lord...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
the ones that didnt get yanked out of mine when the exhaust flew apart, i had to cut off. haha. it didnt take me long with a grinder tho.

Back