surging like crazy?! Input needed on trouble shooting

Theory208

Reaction score
(00 4cyl) I took off the intake manifold, cleaned everything, egr valve ect. Everything is torqued to spec and connected.

I tried to get away with re-using the iacv gasket (didn't look in to bad of shape) but wasn't sure if that could be the culprit, which is the only gasket I re-used...

Started the car, initial idle was at 2k and held there. I let it sit there for about 7 sec to see if it would wind down, but then it jumped up to 3k, then back down to 2k, then back up to 3k, etc. First thing I tried was backing out the idle screw, but it didn't effect the the rpm jumping at all.

I'm going to pick up a new iacv gasket tomarrow, but was wondering if something else could be causing the surging. Anything else I should check should the gasket not solve the problem? My hands are tied if that doesn't work :wtf1: Thanks all.

drifthobo

Reaction score
give the iacv gasket a try, doesn't hurt to replace it. hope everything works out man and let us know how it turns out

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
vacuum leak somewhere? u sure all the lines are connected tightly?

Theory208

Reaction score
All vac lines are as secure as I could imagine, but I may go back in and put clamps on all of them (they aren't as snug the second time they're put on). It jumps up to 3K about every 2 seconds.

Thought the dealership would have the iacv gasket, but won't have it till tomarrow. I'm gunna wait to get the gasket, give that a try. Hopefully that will get it to a steady idle. Then I could adjust the idle screw.

I know there's air bubbles in the coolant, but I don't want to run the car like that any more than it already has, which hasn't been much. If I could just get the idle somewhat down and steady, I could adjust from there. No CEL ...car has gone poltergeist on me

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
my explanation for my comment about gasket leak.

lol what!? he reused the gasket and that could of been why its leaking air. he also said he removed the intake manifold, so maybe he didnt scrape off all of the old gasket from it before putting on the new one. lol he didnt even touch that much things. im and iavc, wut can go wrong with messing with those 2 besides gaskets or hoses connected to the tb. the im is pretty self explanatory with just bolts, gasket, some vacum and coolant hoses, if he only removed the top part of it.

Last edited:

Theory208

Reaction score
^???

lemon- I did remove he entire im, fuel rail ect. Yes the im face was cleaned well. Wouldn't be so hell bent about it, except that it cost me an extra 100$ to replace the knock sensor I broke off, old and brittle.

Last edited:
Back