Temp Gauge Not working

tunerbum147

Reaction score
im going to be looking for a new temp gauge after the holidays too once i have time. mine doesnt work after i put new gauges in when my speedometer stopped working. not sure what are some good gauges and still gotta find out the install process. anyone know of a DIY or can create one

lwlba

Reaction score
im going to be looking for a new temp gauge after the holidays too once i have time. mine doesnt work after i put new gauges in when my speedometer stopped working. not sure what are some good gauges and still gotta find out the install process. anyone know of a DIY or can create one

and tehre is already a diy for this. search the diy section

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Yeah Nick, please I'd like to hear more about why Autometer gauges suck.. I always thought they were legit. I mean not as legit as DEFI, but for an affordable price, I thought they were the better options.

nsjames

Reaction score
Mostly because it happens while driving, so it pretty hard to get under the hood while driving on the highway.

But, in any other situation, I'd agree with you.

ok, so it is a bit hard to troubleshoot, but why automatically assume that the temp sender is bad?

smacking the dash and it goes back to working does not sound like a problem related to the sender in the engine bay. It sure as **** sounds like a porblem in the dash with the connectors behind the cluster.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but why suggest spending money to replace parts when you can troubleshoot the entire thing with an Ohm meter?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Because probably not everyone is smart enough to know how to use an OHM meter lol :hihi:

My temp gauge was doing something similar. While driving, it would be fine, then drop to 0. Then be fine. Then sometimes skyrocket to maximum heat, even though there was no overheating issue. Then drop back to normal, or 0. Then the same. Or it would stick at 0 for long periods and then pop up to normal. Again and again. Beats me... The thing is, it WORKS. Unlike problems encountered with OBD1 swaps, I imagine this is an issue where it either works or it doesn't.. Mine is intermittent, even after replacing the temp sensor under the distributor in the head.

Mine is a 1999, but an LX - and this also happens only during driving.

xmsleepr

Reaction score
ok, so it is a bit hard to troubleshoot, but why automatically assume that the temp sender is bad?

smacking the dash and it goes back to working does not sound like a problem related to the sender in the engine bay. It sure as **** sounds like a porblem in the dash with the connectors behind the cluster.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but why suggest spending money to replace parts when you can troubleshoot the entire thing with an Ohm meter?

makes perfect sense to me!

mines does the same thing 99 lx i4 5spd if that matters.... mines doesnt shoot up to H but it does stay C until i smack the dash and it goes to the normal point.

nsjames

Reaction score
since I'm a newbie here I've not yet taken the cluster out of my accord, but I'm willing to bet that it uses the came connectors as everything else from that age. The problem is that they lose the "springy" that keeps the contact. You pull the connectors out, bend the contacts out a touch and the problem is solved. Free and easy.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
I have had this problem also where it goes nuts while driving but when i replaced the sensor every time it has fixed it.

To save some money though first try the ohm meter or connections at each point.

Back