TL/CL Type S Dash Swap In Sedan CG16

FNCONE

Reaction score
First off thanks to DH48 For the motivation ( I always wanted to see if it worked) and Brad2274 for being the first coupe in the USA. Now im going for the first Sedan In The USA....(I Think)...if you wanna put me down Acura CL/TL Dash swap club #3!!! lol, anyways i always liked the tl perforated interior and design. I even went as far as installing the shifter and cluster in my car( full working except tiptronic obviously) You can see in the video the cluster 100% working (excuse my friends son, God is testing my patience with him lol he wants to help). i picked up my dash and started working on the dash and its fits perfectly. The only thing its ****ing cold here in NY so i stopped but Brad2274 got me motivated again its just to cold i will try on warmer days. Iam also working on a swap so im not in a rush. once it gets warmer ill FINISH ASAP. If any days im off its warm ill wire some more. here is a few pics excuse the mess just to cold to care.
DashboardRemoval11-6-131.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
My Stock Setup

DashboardRemoval11-6-135.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
My Cluster Working With Outside Temp And Fuel

DashboardInstall1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Changing Dashboard VIN... dont want a mismatched VIN in NY Auto Crime Will Rape You

DashboardInstall5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IT FITS!!! this one has a pic of the door so you can see its a Sedan

DashboardInstall17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Front View with the Cluster bezel I LOVE IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-L2nwY7HTc&feature=youtu.be

This is when i started but since my work hours are insane i didnt finish because it started to get colder on my days off. the video is kinda slow maybe ill just upload it to youtube

i love it and cant wait to finish it
Excuse the mess, alot of work hours and i do this any chance i get... plus i have no rush not like its going anywhere without a motor lol

SoloDay45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

TL Dash In This Sedan
SideViewEdit.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Awesome work.

That's a major project to take on, but looks like you have everything under control. Can't wait to see it done.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
Seems to have improved the looks, but I am bias from seeing my same old dash everyday. Maybe you could have wrapped the accord dash in perforated leather and added the gauges, but you probably thought of that and decided to try something new. So GJ and GL.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Thank you Sykvsyx, its under control just the wiring needs more of my time (well warm weather)....Brad2274 also needed time with his wiring. The only difference is i have the whole TL harness, my splicing is just from the fuse boxes into engine bay and doors, IMHO mush easier than wiring everything in the car. If Any one is trying this i BELIEVE its EASIER to splice from fuse boxes to engine bay (Front lights Sensors etc etc) and from fuse box to rear (doors trunk lights etc etc) than wiring CLUSTER CLIMATE CONTROL Switches SRS....with the cluster alone i believe fuse box method is better. THE hours i spend following Accord Circuit and TL for my Type S cluster in my accord was insane...in less time i have almost everything working by switching and splicing fuse box connections. IMO
schmiddr2 the TL dashboard is not perforated the seats and doors are (Type S) i have the seats (CL) and working on doors. So i didnt want the dashboard perforated, but i did have the gauges working In the accord. Thanks some good luck and SUN is all i need

appreciate it guys ttyl

Brad2274

Reaction score
have you tried just plugging the tl dash harnesses A+B into your current fuseboxes and such? i got all the wiring and fuseboxes from the 03 tl and tried every combo(TL with stock boxes, TL with TL boxes, one accord and one tl harness) the fuse boxes looked identical, DH48 told me they were, but i think the fuse layout and what the fuses are for is different, i had to swap stickers on the fuse box covers. DH48s swap seemed easier and i think its because his isnt a 98-99, so his was almost plug n play, thats why your tl cluster works on your current harness because you have an 01.
although if you youre doing the seats as well youd probably benefit from swapping all of the wiring from the firewall or engine bay back.
looks like your gauges will work fine but one problem you will have is the AC, DH48 wired some of his CL ac wires to the stock accord boxes but the modes dont really work right, i kept all stock ac and wiring but i have the TL climate control unit, so i only have speed control, on/of, hot/cold, auto, rear defrost, i think thats it. no windshield defrost. to have it work right you need the main middle ac box and all the actuators, the evap might be able to stay, and i think the blower box is needed as well.

oh and i did get my cluster to work, removed the 03 and put in a 99 tl cluster, everything even the gear indicators work fine now :thumbup: although the faces are ugly so i might solder in type s ones or get glow gauges :lawl:

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Every time I reconsider doing this with either a CL or TL dash, I see pictures and hear tales of wiring woes, and I just shrug in defeat. If the CL dash was straight plug and play I’d probably do it.

Good luck OP, looks like the progress is slow but steady.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Brad2274 no i haven't tried with my stock fuse boxes. Mine is an 01 But i had to rewire and splice in the Acura cluster pigtails,(when i was using the Type S Cluster In The regular accord dashboard). The accord cluster connectors do not fit. (I'm pretty sure you know this). The fuse boxes look the same BUT the multiplex's run different things. The fuse layout changes a LITTLE. That is what I'm working on. For example on a US Accord, under the hood fuse box, fuse number 59 is NOTHING, unless its a Canadian accord with HEATED SEATS....
AccordUnderHood.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

BUT IN A 03 TL Same fuse box connection FUSE 59, IS INTERIOR LIGHTS. Once i power that fuse into the interior fuse relay boxes i will have my cluster lights. (My dome lights will Work).
TLUnderHood.gif
[/URL][/IMG]
SO you are using the Accord center Heater core? or accord actuators?....And you spliced half Accord Have TL dashboard harnesses? You Sir Are Bad-*** but INSANE lol....As far as the center box i did add it (i want my rear vents!!! LOL,...but adding an e brake with that vent is going to be some custom work because the TL has a foot e brake. I have the CL cup holder....just in case by the summer i find the 6 Speed:naughty:) and i have all the actuators except for the blower, after i read the TL and accord diagram on all data its basically the same. The only thing is the accord has a "blower High" relay. (I'm an electrician, sadly not union yet, If i need to add this relay to the circuit that's child's play for me.

SoloDay3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Both Center Heater Core Units

[URL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/FNCONE/media/SoloDay11.jpg.html]
[IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e63/FNCONE/SoloDay11.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
Installed In Accord...

Sounds great you go your cluster working. I heard somewhere it might not work, (Type-S To 99) but i can give you the faces of my Type S Gauges. THEY SHOULD BE In My Trunk. They are not soldered On they are simply pressed in with a metal tab. Just let me know if you want them, ill send them to you.
DashboardRemoval11-6-135.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RedRyder Thanks!! yes its coming along great... it is a nightmare, i wire things everyday and i find this annoying. I could imagine someone who is not wire savvy.:booty:

Blackcord thanks a lot!... the lip is a JDM Euro-r lip and side skirts....when Franky said he likes stocky ****y...he Likes STOCKY ****Y lol.
Euro-R.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
When i got my Accord my brother (which has a CD5 H22) he told me drop it, Lip Kit (He recommended OEM 98 LOL Best Lip EVER) and rims... i was like ehhh... don't like spoilers and stuff...THEN i saw the EURO R. WHAT A SEXY CAR!!! Why cant we get the JDM designs In the USA? ...and it began.... This Honda Game is like Crack When Your Hooked your HOOKED.

Here is a short Video of My first test run... (I had my friends kid so don't mind me talking Like a kid LOL!) he has made me very patient. Around 1 minute 10 seconds you can tell I'm trying to be patient. Thanks to him plugging in my shifter (i didn't know he did that) i had a brain fart senior citizen moment when the key got stuck lol. (At least i know the lockout Works). The Rear Heated glass was not connected so the circuit kept trying that's why it was "jumping". Obviously the cluster doesn't show everything because the ecu is not there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvLQrX-S3A&feature=youtu.be

Now to finish my homework... ill figure this out...
WiringHomework.jpg~original
[/URL][/IMG]

THANKS GUYS

FNCONE

Reaction score
Guys on the ALLDATA diagrams I'm talking about Connector D2... Sorry about that i wasn't specific.

Brad2274 Heated Seats Work...working on memory seats. Adding the missing wires from the harness to the seat (My seat harness is the oem Accord that's why my carpet is off lol there's no need to remove the carpet for a dashboard)and it should work i have all the computers and multiplex's for the TL.

Last edited:

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I reconsider doing this with either a CL or TL dash, I see pictures and hear tales of wiring woes, and I just shrug in defeat. If the CL dash was straight plug and play I’d probably do it.

Good luck OP, looks like the progress is slow but steady.

I couldn't agree more. If I didn't have 2 little kids and 2 jobs, I would love to do this myself. Crazy respect though for you guys pulling this of.

Back